CWB Five Flavor Discount

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Thor, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lol...must make it to Friday....payday does not come fast enough...lol...

2. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

Dec 3, 2008
    Abilene, TX
    Still love that bass! And those are some nice boots too!

3. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Ok, I changed the title, Five Flavor Discount is a rocking local RI multigirl band with major divaness and mojo. A TB'er is on bass.

If you find a more spoonworthy title, it's up for grabs. I just had to make the hop on the fly.

Took the w/e off pretty much, caulked some siding, washed the skylights, went the the bassment (yuku.com) gtg, saw some bass bros, drove the 97 Saab 900 convertible with my shades on, and an Outback hat and the top down, mowed the lawn, did my laundry, vacuumed half the house, ran to the hardware store twice, now back to work in a few hours. I'm kind of sleepless and tired.

I wrote a letter, not an email, a real letter, to a lost friend. With a real stamp plus an antique stamp to boot. When was the last time you got a real letter from a friend?

Sent some FB messages, reactivated my old account after 2 years, no less.

FM, great shot. Wistful on one level, free and easy on another.

Gonna try a nap, see y'all soon.

4. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Chick with bass looking every bit a rock star.

5. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    FM, PA and Tat.....almost enough for a "Five Flavor" discount.....

6. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    So my wife walks by and says "why are you looking at this girl every time I walk by?"
    I say."Girl? what gir...no, no, she just got a new bass. I'm looking at the bass. See it's green, you like green."

7. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    If you call that taking the w/e off, you're doing it wrong, lol.
    Come on down, and I'll take you to extreme bowling :D

I never got a "real" anything from a friend. If I were to write a real letter, I think I would have to write it on the computer first, so I could use "spell check", and then copy it by hand, haha.

8. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

Nice save! Did she buy it?

9. Tat2dHeart

I was thinking the same thing about the w/e. But I'd have suggested airboat rides, then truth or dare miniature golf... ;)

I send real letters all the time. I never get them back, but I send them. Sometimes it's just the only way to write. There's the anticipation, the thought, the effort, and then the warm fuzzy feeling when you see a letter in the mailbox.

10. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    I hope so..I always knew FM was trouble. ;)

11. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    That depends on who wrote the letter and to whom it was addressed.:meh: Some of my worst experiences have started at the mailbox.

12. WackoStu

WackoStu

Dec 6, 2010
    Sturtevant WI
    Holy cow I finally check in and it's page 4 already. Wow, you guys are movin'!

Thor, You need a vacation to recover from your weekend!

Furry, Bass plus boots =Win, although I prefer those cagey spikey ones you had on in the chick with wick pic!

Tat, On your Lakland, how much do you blend in the neck pup?

And what happened to Deej? Seemed a little weird not having her start out......

13. Tat2dHeart

Um....I don't know. LOL. I haven't done a lot of fiddling with the knobs yet. I loved the sound just the way it was set, so I've been enjoying that. LOL. I know - sounds silly, but it was so easy to just be happy that I didn't want to mess with it for a while.

14. WackoStu

WackoStu

Dec 6, 2010
    Sturtevant WI
    I can understand this. When I traded my Washburn for the Squier Pro tone I was firmly set on putting some Rotosound Flats on her. She came perfectly set up and while I normally not a fan of D'adario Strings, the old chrome flats on her sounded so good that I didnt have the heart to change the mojo.

If it sounds good to you that's all that matters.

15. Tat2dHeart

If I can figure out how to record it without breaking something, I'll try to do that this weekend and post a clip - as long as no one laughs at my beginner's mediocrity.

16. WackoStu

WackoStu

Dec 6, 2010
    Sturtevant WI
    AT least you have the skills to post a clip...... I am a not ready for anyone else's ears player.

17. Tat2dHeart

I said nothing about having skills. But how can I expect all of you to love her as much as I do if I never let you hear her? And if she sounds that good with my clunky fingers, can you only imagine what she'd sound like with someone skilled on the strings?

So - yeah - I'll swallow my embarrassment at my own skill and share. But if you hear any funny wretching noises in the background, pay no mind. It's not a special effect or anything, just me letting my nerves get to me.

18. WackoStu

WackoStu

Dec 6, 2010
    Sturtevant WI
    And I guess, this is part of my self esteem issues I talked about back at the end of part 4. I have been playing for almost a year, granted it's playing along with my Ipod and taking a few lessons, and while I have fum and hit a zone when I am in the garage playing, I dont think I am good enough to put myself out there and play with, or for, others. I think I could if I just got over myself.

19. Tat2dHeart

I have my own self-esteem demons, so I can relate. My friend John says I could write a book on them - and I can't remember if you asked for my backstory in PM back in thread 1 or not...but I walked away from being a singer as a career when I was young because I was too scared to pull the trigger. So - yeah - I can totally relate.

When I started playing bass in February/March (barely 6 months now), I didn't even like my instructor to hear me play. Biting the bullet and playing with other people has done a few things for me: 1) realize that it's not all about me; 2) suck a little less every day; 3) improve faster than I would have done alone; 4) opened up a whole new world of people and techniques to learn from (and learn what NOT to do); and 5) be less afraid of playing in front of people.

Seriously - until age 16 all I wanted was to be a professional singer. Too scared to go for it, so I stopped singing entirely except in the car. Three years ago, John dragged me to my first karaoke and I threw up in the parking lot and didn't sing anything. For the past couple of months, I've been singing backup at his band rehearsals. A couple of weeks ago, at rehearsal they put me on lead on one song. Thursday, I'll find out for sure what Friday will hold, but I'm very hopeful that I'll be singing backup at Friday's gig. And - maybe we'll even do that song I've been singing lead on.

You CAN do it - you just have to take the first step.

20. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    Then get over yourself, bro. :)

Look, it's also entertainment. Fake it till you make it. Learn to play the part. Mistakes are going to happen everyday...it's no big deal. Just keep playing, and act like you meant to do it and it was the coolest thing ever. We are not machines and we will make mistakes, that's part of being human...and its also why I like a live drummer better than a drum machine. The drum machine can be perfect, but when you or a live drummer screw up, it can turn into something way better.
    People will be there to have fun, not to see the bass player, anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.