1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Damnation Audio Fan/Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Jan 31, 2018.

1. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Planned on selling a pedal to fund a Bloop but ended up trading said pedal straight up for an MBD-1. Been missing my old one— looking forward to having that tasty circuit back on my board.

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    You better mofo! ;)

cataract likes this.
  3. Maxfenderbass

Maxfenderbass Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    I have only had my Loop Blender for a few days, but I second everything Greg has said. It took my Bluebeard from a thick unique sounding muff to a massive wall of sound fire breathing monster. I look forward what it is going to do to my incoming Dunwich ODB.

4. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I bet it'll make it sound like a dirtier MBD. I could be wring though. THe ODB was all time fav OD till I got the MBD. The ODB is tasty as hell though. But in comparison, for me, it sounded puny when A/B'ing them in a band mix. But in the Bloop? mmmmmmm :bassist:

Strung_Low and Maxfenderbass like this.
  5. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    The LPF of the Clean blend is a key to its success, but it also has an atypical signal flow for a blend pedal.
    On my Mosquite blender, the signals are mixed on a pan pot. 100% clean > 50/50 > 100% loop. On the Bloop, when engaged, the loop is always at unity, bringing up the blend adds low passed clean to the Unity loop signal.

This signal flow is a significant part of the Bloops success, IMHO.

6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Thank you!

7. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
  8. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    That's my issue exactly.
    Since getting my Bloop, I've had regretful thoughts about every dirt pedal I've sold over the years.
    I wonder all the time, what all of them would have sounded like with the Bloop's help.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  9. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Few minutes with the MBD and it already sounds and plays amazing. I should've bought one a long time ago! It's over for the Porkloin.

Edit: Actually earlier today I was thinking about the Bloop and about crossover frequency use in pedals. It seems like all the cool kids like Darkglass, DSM, etc. are making frequency splitting a feature in their pedals and they're putting out great stuff. I'm glad it's becoming a trend now. It makes you wonder why this hasn't been more common in clean blends but also more pedals in general. I too was imagining better pedals all the way back to my Digitech BSW.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  10. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    That's what happened to me too. Well, sorta. I had the PL (modded) and I loved it! Was sold on it. Then I got an ODB. The PL came off. Then I got the MBD. Then the ODB came off...there just wasn't any contest. And I don't think the MBD will be coming off for anything unless my tastes or needs change.

I know what you mean!! I totally agree with you too. I think the market just needed to catch up. There are more bassists using pedals now than ever. If you think about it in the bigger picture, it hasn't taken builders THAT long to come out with stuff that better handles low end. But yes, there are plenty of great options out there these days. I think tech has a big part in it too. I know for the things being put into pedals now, before, you needed a mixer and multiple lines run, possibly multiple rigs. Now, it's like you said, you can get it in 1 pedal. I look at my HX FX and I still get a little blown away. The power and options on that thing are just amazing. Let alone the tones and sounds. It's pretty awesome.

Ba55Man1ac likes this.
  11. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    We must have similar OD taste! I was considering biting on a cheap ODB myself just because the PL was missing that aggression I wanted. I'd describe the MBD as more than what I even wished the Porkloin is. The MBD covers pretty much the whole PL tone range but does it with better dynamic response and more aggression which the PL just can't do.

I get this feeling annually at this point but it really feels like a golden age in effects pedals especially in the bass realm. Crossover frequencies, parallel processing, almost infinite options in cab simulation, quality modern drive pedals, digital pedals that sound incredible. Ten years ago none of that stuff was standard in effects. My younger self wouldn't even know how to handle things.

Ba55Man1ac and gregmon79 like this.
  12. Not to semi derail but yeah my love of filter clean blend started with cog mini 66, wanted a overdrive with low mids and a clean blend and it sounded so nice it stayed on all the time... mbd1 with the same is soooo nice. Those two are my “I’ll sell everything else before I ever sell those” pedals.
    I do like how the “clean” is it’s own knob and not a wet 100 / 50-50 / 100 dry style shared thing

TodaysTomSawyer and gregmon79 like this.
  13. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yeah the PL was really awesome. I still really dig it. But when you AB something like that to the MBD in a band mix, there just ain't no question. Everything else sounds so puny! Even the AOU I had at the time sounded weak in comparison. Added the Bloop in the mix, now I'm huge at all times!!! :smug:

Robertron and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  14. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
  15. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    THAT, is dead sexy! Wow man. So friggen awesome. I really need to get Oxbloods for my MBD already. I'm halfway there now.

donahue likes this.
  16. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Beauuuutiful!

17. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Just ord some more Davies'.

donahue likes this.
  18. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Beauuuutiful! I'd love those same knobs in white on mine.

gregmon79 likes this.
  19. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    That looks amazing. I'm pretty sure someone else here had that at one time.

20. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Word?! Great! Now that I know those knobs exist I can start hunting them down.