1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I could be wrong, but I don't think you can even get active electronics in a Super P. I believe it's just like the D-Bird, passive only...

2. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    Yep passive only, I remember something about the body being very thin so not much room for electronics. Could be imagining that though.
    Also once you start adding more pickups it kinda ceases to be a P bass really.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  3. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    You could talk to Sheldon but
    I think due to things like cavity sizing on the P and some other things I know not your options are pretty limited on a P. Thing change all the time though

johnsonabq and Waltsdog like this.
  4. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    If you can tolerate listening to some silliness, there are some good Super J tone examples sprinkled throughout this embarrassing video, shot with the cellphone, with the original FD3 pickups back in the bass.
    It does indeed cop a DingRay tone pretty well, to my ear:

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Finally got a pickguard place who would help me out with the Combustion v4 "C2" guard fabrication.

The Shop redirects pickguard stuff to Chandler (Pickguard Heaven)...which is fine if you just need a repro of the stock shape/routs. They won't do any changes to the perimeter of the guard shape, so no "Z2 positioning" guard from them...they were super friendly and responsive until they saw what needed to be done then they just didn't reply or respond.

Terrapin Pickguards on the other hand...were happy to do it. I'll send the original, an uncut paper template and my cut-fit template. I'm having three made. One will be a standard modern dark brown tortoise-shell, another will be a celluloid vintage style red tortiose shell, and the third...a fun outlier will be a vintage style one-layer celluloid 'fire-stripe'

CBT. VRT.

fire%20stripe.

BassBH, Akami, S-Bigbottom and 3 others like this.
  6. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I like the fire stripe.

BurningSkies likes this.
  7. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Happy Terrapins help make the world go 'round. :) I think the Fire Stripe will look cool with the body grain.

BurningSkies and BuffaloBob4343 like this.
  8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, isn't that cool. It's that sort of 1930's-40's arch top acoustic vibe:

epizen-1.

sdaiwuv38fpjerommsol.

images.

GregC, TolerancEJ and spiritbass like this.
  9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, Chandler was wicked cool to talk with up to the point where I broke one of their non-sensical rules. ;)

But Looking for something with good contrast to go with that 'natural' finish. I'm not a 'natural' guy so trying to fit my head around making it work for me. I also don't love black pickguards.

spiritbass likes this.
  10. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I prefer natural over solid colors, but I also don't like pick guards. When I owned a natural Super J I went with Baltic Amber.

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    What I'd really like it a really well done one from Spitfire, which is the closest to real vintage looking that I've seen, but that would be down the road and with one that's already been cut as a template.

The baltic amber is a nice look, I'm trying to get away from the perloid look for right now. It came with a standard white 'crushed ice' style MoTS guard.

The materials are so varied from source to source though...so I had a plan laid out for the 'who will say yes' reply...Pickguardian had these options that appealed to me:

pickguardian2. pickguardian1.

12. Remember how I said I found my endgame setup? Well, that endgame upped its game with the X7. Now THIS is what I call a pedal. That fat low end combined with virtually limitless drive options. I'm in heaven.

Attached Files:

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    There's no endgame setup. There just isn't. ;)

I just had this land on my desk:
    FutureImpact.

Even though my board already looks like this:

Pedalboard explanation.

And now I kinda want one of these:

HX Stomp ...you know, for gigs when I can't carry my full rig or need to go light and just go IEM.

It's a never ending struggle against the forces of evil. Last year I was put on a year-long bass moratorium...and only bought two.

djaxup, BassBH, NaH and 2 others like this.
  14. TonyRo

TonyRo Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    Baltic Amber is one of the best looking pickguards ever in my opinion, especially on just plain white and black. From what I understand however, the original manufacturer of the raw slabs discontinued it, so it's gone for good. :(

15. Future Impact is THE bass synth to have. Legendary status. Your board needs more Darkglass, if you ask me... ;)

BassBH and Bassheart365 like this.
  16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I have 'em in my basses instead. :p

I actually only have one dedicated distortion related effect on that board, the Frazz Dazzler, which is pretty cool since it has one channel that's a good solid distortionish thing then the fully raging gated fuzz stage. Although the Matryoshka has some 'distortion' type stuff and/or the Flex Pro has the angriest sounding fuzz you've ever experienced.

BassBH likes this.
  17. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I feel your pain !!

BurningSkies likes this.
  18. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    I’ve pretty much gone down to the Stomp and the FI. One day I will figure out those pesky line 6 compressors.
    The AO is just there for show right now, not using it at all.
    B7E34714-B082-4C99-A459-0395E240D131.

BassBH, Nowyn and TonyRo like this.
  19. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    All this synth talk - has anybody tried messing with the SY-300?

20. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I'm liking the HX stuff. I got HX Effects and it is reducing my pedal board for sure.