1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny."
    I agree 100%. I should have added that my Hyper Luminal is also on my essential pedal list. Brilliant compressor.

TonyRo likes this.
  2. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Good to see you stopping in Dustin!

I would wager a guess that they are coming out with nickels on them. Glad your talking Dingwall again!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    BuffaloBob4343 and dtsamples like this.
  3. GBass001

GBass001 Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Long Beach, CA
    That B string, man, just blew my mind! :woot:drool

4. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    I see what you did there.

I love my Ovnilab smoothie, but I still want to try out the Hyper Luminal.

I buy all my Dingwalls used, and everyone has recouped my investment when I sold. I look at them as “no risk” to try.

Prices will inevitably come down on the NG’s, and it’ll be time to try a four banger NG.

Setting a price for used kind of depends on how motivated the seller is. I’d be looking hard at AB -2, semi hollow, models at $2k.

I’d be confident I could try it and flip it if it didn’t work out for me.

BurningSkies likes this.
  5. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    I’ve been waiting for 2 weeks to get a price quote on the combustion and ng2’s latest version!!!! Way to go L&M!!!

They told me that they need to contact Dingwall, I told them I sent an email to Dingwall on Saturday and got an answer on Sunday! I don’t think Dingwall is the problem here.....

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    GregC, Smallmouth_Bass and TolerancEJ like this.
  6. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    Only certain locations are Dingwall dealers, if you go to any other L&M you'll get the runaround (as you've discovered). I've had good experiences with the Saskatoon store and the Markham store as have many others here, those are the ones to call ;)

bassman74 and BassikBrad like this.
  7. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    I visited a L&M store 2 weeks ago and they assured me they could get me one without a problem and that it would take a couple of days max to get a quote.

3 weeks later (yesterday) I called another L&M store and they told me the exact same thing. I just got a call from that store 5 minutes ago with pricing and eta.

I guess it depends on how motivated is the salesman ;)

The important thing is that I got a price and even if it went up compared to last year, I seriously think about ordering one with trying it first.

They’re is probably at least one but I’ve never seen a Dingwall in the province of Quebec. I have to rely on YouTube and reviews.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  8. I see Dingwalls occasionally in the Vancouver L&M.

kittywithabanjo likes this.
  9. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    Yep, Vancouver, Saskatoon and Markham definitely stock them. I think maybe one of the Alberta stores too but I usually call the closest to me (Markham) and then call the next closest etc.

I used to be pretty close to Montreal, I know there are a couple of owners there. If you're ever in the Ottawa area drop me a line you can check out my Combustion.

GregC, bassman74 and TolerancEJ like this.
  10. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    @Waltsdog
    Thanks for the offer, that’s tempting!

11. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I would agree that seller motivation does have a strong part, but I wish people would realize "hey - that was a bargain", not "that is what they go for." I don't think you'll find many at that price point. They go quickly at that rate because it is a deal.

AB Nate likes this.
  12. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    agreed

13. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Calgary tries and is gonna try harder to keep more stock.

My best advice is make friends with the guys that work there... We have 3 L and Ms in town and Ive got some solid friendships with fellows at 2 of them and acquaintances at the 3rd. Your friends will take care of you and if they don't you can give them poopie. lol

BUT..... I do have a slightly intoxicated statement to make on this topic regarding Canadian sales and L and M....

I feel a bit disappointed in the Customer, distributor, manufacturer relations in Canada and not just on dingwall.
    If you want markbass, ampeg, GK, traynor, fender, Ibanez or a stingray.....your ok but otherwise it can often be like pulling teeth to get stuff happening. To put dingwall AND L and M in the crosshairs though, most of dingwalls stock is found out of country. Its to be expected considering population etc. BUT...... As their main, if not only, supplier in Canada Long and Mcquade should be stepping up their game to hold more dingwall stock. Period. THEY ARE ON FIRE! To the point that japan has more stock and it becomes stupid expensive to try to acquire one from JApan but yet a combustion can barely be found here. Check all over ebay or reverb and they can be found elsewhere... but not here... IMO L and M need to up their game for stocking and repping them. Its most often easier to pick one up from Michael or someone else across borders and not too much more expensive... or classifieds. What L and M I don't think realizes is that internationally they will sell if not locally so why not stock up?????

Rant over. L and M get ur crap together and support Canadian made!

14. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Hanging on in quiet desperation... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
  15. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
  16. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Yeah! only on a stud... Not hanging my dingwall on drywall anchors and I Love the locking Hercules ones.

Lowendtech and BassBH like this.
  17. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Here is another option:
    lee-sklar-ii-metallic-pink-sn-5723.

18. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Watching the used Dingwall market became a habit almost ten years ago. I’ve tried to quit. I struggle, but fall off the wagon when I see what I know is a solid bargain. I enjoy the randomness of the hunt.

Black on black Super P bass? Nothing I ever thought about, but up pops a deal, (2k) and here she is:

9900B44C-FAF3-4C94-86C9-4A3B3EA9DDF6.
    I know if I ever want out, it’s not going to be hard to find a buyer.

I’ve never really thought about ordering a custom. I know I’d never recoup the price of a new, bespoke, build. That’s just the math on new stuff, be it basses, cars, motorcycles, boats....whatever. At least a Dingwall in the closet doesn’t eat money like a boat in the water or boat yard.

I felt like I was going way out on a limb when I bought my first Dingwall (sight unseen) in 2009. It was a used Super PJ 4 for 2k. I’d never contemplated a bass that cost that much. Heck, I’d paid $150 for my first bass. (A used ‘76 Kramer 450B). $500 for a used Fender Jazz was more my speed.

After the first one, I never looked back. Four Dingwalls have come and gone. I’m actively hunting the right deal on a NG 2 or 3 four string. Pretty much anything except the lime green would work. (I’m not sure about the swirls, but who knows). Not like I need another bass.....

The Cirrus I bought about a year ago for under $800 (mint with original hard shell case) is an outrageously nice bass. It’s twenty years old and looks like it just left the factory. A Mississippi Alembic.

If only it had the Dingwall long scale fanned frets, the E could be that much more glorious and the G would punch at a short scale’s weight.....and the ergonomics would be better, less reach to the nut...you know, all those things Sheldon gets just right.

19. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I liked the Cirrus' that I had. Claro Walnut, Wenge (seemed to play a little too muddy, but it looked awesome, Fretless. Next move was Dingwall.

I'm sort of the same way. Don't need more, but once in a while one catches my eye. That's how I got this one:

Redwoodsmall.

Now why did it come in that way???!!

Akami and Flabzilla like this.
  20. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    You've got a type!