1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Fug that.
    I look at it this way. I teach my kids to be wise, accountable, responsible and respectful......
    All so I don’t have to anymore!!! ;).

2. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    So, I have decided to keep my D-Bird and probably let the 6 string AB2 go. I can just fly around on that 4 string neck and it just is such a rocking bass. The reason I am going to let the 6er go is because I have fretless fever. I have decided on a Five string Marleaux Diva or a Stradi Symphony.

The 6er may already have a new home.

AB Nate and Peter Lufrano like this.
  3. reddavid

reddavid Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    ;):D
    It would be perfect if it was a hollow body HS with a drop tuner, Glock, and FF3’s...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  4. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    BuffaloBob4343 and DeltaPhoenix like this.
  5. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    A bass outstanding in it’s field!

6. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Is that a Wenge neck?

7. graphics1988

graphics1988 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Sure is. Upgraded ash body..wenge neck and fretboard, black hardware with detuner...weighs nothing...and as you know...wenge necks....mmmmmm

8. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    So I posted about a week ago saying that I wasn't sure what would come of my 6 string Combustion. I'm pretty sure that I found a forever bass. I honestly could not put the thing down this weekend. It just plays SO nicely and effortlessly it's insane. I swapped the EMG preamp for an Audere simply because I had one lying around and I like the extra mid frequency control, but it definitely didn't need it. Of course, pics or it didn't happen...

20190414_185311.

9. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Enjoy, brother! I'll take your word for how well it plays - too many strings for me. :) The new string retainers look pretty cool...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    AB Nate and TheLowDown33 like this.
  10. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    Six strings and Dingwall, a match made in heaven.

11. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Anyone put a name to what this contrast layer is?
    The fretboard is zirocote and so I’m wondering if that’s what it is but grain and color is quite different. It almost reminds me of a black walnut.
    4D48173D-AB6D-41A6-89A6-03CE522E353A.

12. jellew

jellew

Sep 27, 2008
    sweden
    I will probably take some more photos outside when the background is a bit greener, I just couldn't wait anymore :) the grain of the top really comes out in the sun.

They are similar indeed, beautiful wood combinations.

13. reddavid

reddavid Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    Ebony?

14. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    Wenge?

15. Looks like coloured ash or maple, probably the latter. Not Wenge grain, at the very least.

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I am far from an expert but it doesn't look like ebony to me.

17. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    I agree with this.
    Email the photo and serial number to wood@dingwallguitars.com and they can probably confirm.

BuffaloBob4343 and Peter Lufrano like this.
  18. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    When I saw you were thinking of not keeping it (before you received it) I made a bet with myself that you would be keeping it once you played it. HAHA I won my bet and now owe myself a beer. And you are a winner cause these 6 strings play SO FREAKING GOOD. I have posted before of how unexpected this was to me simply due to my own intimidation of playing a 6, and I am still floored with each one I get through here. Mine is incoming some time this year! - I hope.

19. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    I was wondering that too but it just still doesn’t seem quite right for that either.

Definitely not wenge.
    I assumed that’s what it would be when I got it but as soon as I looked at it I was at a loss.
    I could see it being something like that but I’m still thinking more so coloured walnut. Just way it glistens I guess is making me think that.

I have emailed Dingwall and waiting to hear back. I just thought as it seems quite unusual I’d post here and see what you guys thought.

20. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    That's pressure dyed ponderosa pine. It's no longer available which is too bad because it was really cool stuff.