Having BassCliff Gig Report Withdrawals

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bassWR, Apr 1, 2020.

1. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Dani Chere... congrats, Arnie! Looking forward to catching her show!:thumbsup:

nixdad, McG and BassCliff like this.
  2. Good for you guys on finding a new vocalist.

Wish I could have made it.

Two gigs this weekend, hoping for the best but tonight's gig has already been changed from outside on the nice big deck to inside since it's snowing here right now! ***!?!?! Yep, not amounting to much but snowing on Fri of Mem Day weekend, geesh! Who knows what will happen on Sunday.

Last Sunday's gig was disappointing, didn't bother with any gig report. Also cold and raining so the great outdoor space was skipped and we had to move inside. Much smaller space meant fewer people. Our guitarist's amp went belly up on the 3rd song so that was troublesome. And I spent the whole day feeling like I just wasn't "in the space" for the gig, fighting through or something. I could feel the tension in my wrists/hands and was in alot of pain on Monday, damned arthritis. My heart's not in it much, practice last week was interrupted by a work issue, bad weather, etc. I guess we just need a good gig to get back into it again and things have been a struggle.

Anyway, onward and upward, hope is all I have right now right? :thumbsup:

3. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Sorry - I had work related issues. Nothing like a 17 hour workday spread across the West Coast, amirite lol?

nixdad, 1bassplayinfool, McG and 3 others like this.
  4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Dan,

She's cute enough, I suppose. ;) But can she song harmonies? That would be cool. I'll try to look up some clips of X Factor in YT or Fox. Fingers crossed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Chris!

Oh my goodness gracious! Sorry to hear you've been out of sorts plus the weather is not cooperating. Yes, we have hope plus a whole lot more! Nothing in this world is permanent and will eventually change for better. It's a race we don't have to win, just finish. ;) All the best to you and yours.

BassCliff

nixdad, McG and WI Short Scaler like this.
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Nate,

We missed you too, buddy. I wanted to show you my new toy. Next time. I hope work has settled down. Happy Anniversary to you and Mrs. Kitsapbass. ;)

BassCliff

nixdad and McG like this.
  7. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    It has but not by choice: IT issues.

BassCliff likes this.
  8. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

Sorry I missed it... got home too late.

BassCliff and McG like this.
  9. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Yep, late to the party as usual but I still had some quality time with the gang. :thumbsup:

nixdad, 1bassplayinfool and BassCliff like this.

10. I miss all the fun!!!!!! Glad you were able to get together and hope to make the next one!!!!!

11. Wow! You guys don’t mess around at getting a great looking vocalist! Hope she works out for you, harmonically, as well as meshing with the band. If y’all ever head towards Texas, let me know, I will travel to see you! Keep us updated.

nixdad, Kitsapbass and BassCliff like this.
  12. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Guys -
    Sorry I missed the call, but good to hear everyone is doing well. Thursdays are hit or miss depending upon the family schedoolie. ;)

Jeez Cliff - that gal's gonna attract a crowd, no doubt. Hopefully she sings as well as she fills an 8x10 and is easy to work with. If so, that's gonna be a heck of a win.

How much of a pay cut came out of your end to hire her? :roflmao:

13. Good call last night as usual. Although I was ill prepared for a long meeting since the chrome book at home was only at 30% when we started. And thanks to my daughter placing the ac adaptor in a yet undisclosed location I was ejected early.

Carry on my friends.

14. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hello gang!

I'm supposed to get paid? :rolleyes:

You would've liked the meeting last night. @Tony In Philly had some great pictures and history to share from his recent visit to an electronic music museum type place. Hopefully he'll share it here in the forum too.

Suddenly you disappeared. At least you had given us a warning that might happen. It was a really fun discussion last night. We started off talking about "the FOH guy", what to pay them/the crew for which services rendered. Are they a sound company for hire vs. a member of the band who does sound, etc. @s0c9 was very informative on that subject because it seems he has more sound gigs than bass gigs in the near future. We talked about headstocks. We all showed each other our headstocks. :p I decided I liked the thinner Fender headstock (like the Tele basses) over the traditional wider P-bass headstocks. A couple of us mentioned how we get lost while tuning when we switch between headstocks that are 2-2, 3-1, 3-2, 4-0, 4-1, etc. @1bassplayinfool showed us his very nice fanfret bass (Dingwall?). Here's a picture before @Kitsapbass left us and @ak56 joined us.

Zoom-GTG-060321.jpg
    We talked a bit about other subjects that are taboo on TB. I revealed to the room why you will never see me wearing shorts on stage. They were horrified. :jawdrop: @Holdsg told us about his opening gigs with his new tribute bands. It sounds like that project will do very nicely.

I grabbed a couple of screenshots of Tony's presentation. It was very interesting, gear from all kinds of famous touring acts, ELP, The Who, etc. Tony, please share that link again. (Found it! EMEAPP ) Was this an Entwistle Ric? And then you had a picture of yourself playing a bass that he once played? Pretty cool.

Zoom-GTG-060321a.jpg
    Some of those early electronic keyboards were pretty dang cool, even for 70s technology. The foundation has a gallery online here: Gallery

Zoom-GTG-060321b.jpg

All in all, a great call last night. Thank you, my friends. @dbase, @s0c9, @Kitsapbass, @WI Short Scaler, @Holdsg, @ak56, it was a pleasure spending the evening with you from my hotel room in Vegas with a fabulous view, of the HVAC on the roof. :roflmao: :rolleyes:

I hope everyone has great gigs this weekend. I guess I'll get my report started before we soundcheck this afternoon. Take care everyone!

BassCliff

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    s0c9, Bassed in NZ, nixdad and 5 others like this.
  15. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Hey Cliff,

The John Entwistle bass that they had on display was actually his Alembic and I forgot to take a photo of that one. Here I am playing the Ric that you mentioned. Apparently it belonged to both Glenn Hughes (Deep Purple) and Chris Squire (Yes) at varying times.
    IMG_2222002.jpg

And here I am playing a Fender 51 style P-Bass or (maybe an early Tele Bass) that came out of Greg Lake's collection.

GLakePBass.jpeg

And here I am pretending to play Keith Emerson's infamous modular Moog Synthesizer.

IMG_2227001.jpg

s0c9, Bassed in NZ, nixdad and 7 others like this.
  16. Fantastic photos Tony.

Cliff, thanks for leaving my name out at being the one confused by headstocks different from the 4 in line type I've always had. :laugh:

There's alot of hate for shorts, it is what it is. I didn't hear the story Cliff, you'll have to share it with me next time. We'll do our gigs, do the voodoo we do, get paid and go home. :thumbsup:

s0c9, nixdad, McG and 3 others like this.
  17. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

@BassCliff

Yeah the bass is a Dingwall Lee Sklar that popped up on the classified here. I pounced on it. It's a serious piece of work... Always wanted to get one.

DorrysJam.jpg

s0c9, nixdad, Bassed in NZ and 4 others like this.
  18. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Chris,

Hey, I get confused sometimes too. It wasn't just you. ;) :p

It wasn't a story but a visual presentation. I think I made their eyes burn. :roflmao: :jawdrop: :nailbiting:

No-shorts.jpg

THAT is why you'll never see me wearing shorts on stage. :bag:

BassCliff

s0c9, nixdad, McG and 4 others like this.

19. Whoa, some sunlight wouldn't hurt those bad jacksons!.......:laugh:

I guess I was lucky enough to inherit some hereditary pigment. :roflmao:

s0c9, nixdad, McG and 2 others like this.
  20. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Chris,

Sorry to subject you to that. I guess I should have included a warning or disclaimer. "What you are about to see is not suitable for small children or old ladies!" Ack!

BassCliff

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021