1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HPF/LPF list- which do you use or know about?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stumbo, Aug 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dabis

dabis

Mar 27, 2016
    Barcelona
    Glups, thought it was easier... I was thinking in sending a signal and reading the apparels separated. For the head (Aguilar TH350) thought to measure it through the DI out. Which voltage do you recommend? 1v? 10v?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    If using the DI out, you will need to convert to single ended to use your test setup unless your interface has a balanced input. If so, look at the nominal output level of the DI out and choose a range that's suitable. Since the nominal level is -20dBu on the TH-350 (per the owner's manual), start with 1V, and you may need to increase the sensitivity but be sure to use the scope function on the software to verify that you are not clipping the interface).

3. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Lakeland, Florida
    My Broughton Always On came in the mail today. Been noodling with it at the house but can’t tell much with Thais amp in this room (GK700RB/112). The true test will be next week at church with the boomy room and Ampeg. Can hardly wait.

Zbysek, Stumbo and dabis like this.
  4. dabis

dabis

Mar 27, 2016
    Barcelona
    Many thanks again. I think I have to learn a bit before start measure anything :rollno:

agedhorse likes this.
  5. dabis

dabis

Mar 27, 2016
    Barcelona
    MF-101 Lowpass Filter | Moog Music Inc

"The MF-101 Lowpass Filter is an award-winning effect designed by Bob Moog. It contains the legendary Moog filter as well as an envelope follower for dynamic-controlled filter sweeps. Used with Bass, Guitar, Keys, Samples, or recorded tracks, the MF-101 is ready to be tweaked for classic Moog filter effects. Uncontaminated by the digital world!"

Moogerfooger_MF-101_Low%20Pass%20Filter_3.

The simulated effect is also included on
    Zoom MS-60B MultiStomp Bass Pedal
    leadImage_ms-60b.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Zbysek, Stumbo and Kevin Wolfe like this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I know the Broughton because I have the separate H and LPF and have known FDeck for years and know his HPF only through pictures and words :D Very happy with the Broughton pedals...simple, tiny, does what I need and nothing else.

Zbysek and Kevin Wolfe like this.
  7. dabis

dabis

Mar 27, 2016
    Barcelona
    SB2 Stingray Multi-Filter

"The Stingray Multi-Filter forges an exciting new path in filter modulation. With its 12 filter effects, on-board overdrive, four modes of filter modulation, and full MIDI functionality (via the Neuro Hub) the Stingray goes way beyond most filter effects pedals. Dial in an expansive array of guitar tones, from swirling LFO psychedelia or super-funky envelope filter quack, to massive, synthesizer-inspired fuzz. Each of the Stingray's low pass, high pass, phaser, single peak, and multi-peak filter effects can each be controlled via any of the pedal’s four modulation modes: envelope follower, LFO, expression pedal, or Hot Hand. The Stingray’s four LFO waveforms include sine, square, random sample and hold, and saw tooth, and it’s easy to sync LFO modulation to a drummer or backing track with the pedal's handy Tap Tempo function."
    productpage-stingrayangles_orig.

Zbysek, JimmyM and Stumbo like this.
  8. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Anyone have a minute to take me back to school? So my 5-string bass has a fundamental frequency low point of, what, 31Hz? I've heard it said, however, that what we're really hearing most of the time is a higher harmonic of this frequency. Thus, I could HPF out everything below 40 Hz and still have my b-string sound "right." Right?

Zbysek likes this.
  9. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    That's right. You could even high pass higher and be good (say around 62 Hz which is the first harmonic of the B string). You could then increase your bass eq on your amp and sound right too without mud or unwanted, unhearable frequencies.

Zbysek and Stumbo like this.
  10. Bergantino B|Amp
    B|Amp Bass Amplifier
    • Variable High-Pass Filter (VHPF): Adjustable from 30Hz to 80Hz in 2Hz increments

rodl2005, dabis and Stumbo like this.
  11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Turn up the VHPF (variable high pass frequency) until your rig thins out and then back off. The exact frequency is less important than how you sit in the mix.

Balog, Zbysek, dabis and 4 others like this.
  12. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Exactly what I figured on doing, especially since my unit will have no frequency demarcations on the knob! I just know that it goes from 30 to 120 or something. I'll have to check the exact spec.

Zbysek likes this.
  13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    The frequency labels wouldn't mean much to the majority of players anyway. Preconceived understanding, especially fueled by some internet experts who understand the topic even less than those asking the questions, would have you believe numbers that bear no sense of reality to what the application might benefit from.

This is a challenge when introducing any new feature to a product, dealing with the "experts" who state how something works without the foggiest idea of how it actually works or is supposed to work.

Zbysek, fdeck and Passinwind like this.
  14. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Would you please expound on your comments in terms of this thread and the HP mega thread?

Zbysek likes this.
  15. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Players often think something different than reality, meaning that when you say the amp has a 35Hz HPF, it's unsuitable for 5 string because "everybody (on the internet)" knows that you need 31Hz to reproduce the fundamental. What they don't understand is that with a 31Hz fundamental, the signal is ~2/3 harmonics of the fundamental, and even without a HPF the speaker system wouldn't be reproducing even 10% of that 1/3 fundamental material anyway.

This is one of the reasons why I don't put intermediate frequencies on the faceplate, the fact that the scale is linear end to end should be plenty close enough for any player with an ear. If they don't have an ear, it's not going to matter anyway ;)

When I introduced the more sophisticated HPF into products about 20 years ago, players didn't have any understanding why it was a good idea to do so, and in some cased rebelled against the feature by not buying an amp containing one. Of course it improved performance (and speaker reliability) by so much that it eventually became a no-brainer, but this is an example of the challenges of a new feature. The same can be said of SMPS's, class D, Neo speakers, etc. I have fought all of these fights and in the end they all became an accepted part of our industry.

16. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    :roflmao:

agedhorse likes this.
  17. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    :bassist:

Stumbo likes this.
  18. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Hi Mo!

Stumbo likes this.
  19. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Thank you. :thumbsup:

20. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Hello Andy! I see TB keeps you busy!
    Joke aside, thank you for all you do and help!
    Hope all is well up there!

agedhorse likes this.