1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HPF/LPF list- which do you use or know about?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stumbo, Aug 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    TB is infinitely better for you than Facebook, right ;)

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    :roflmao:

3. The Crown XLS1002 has an adjustable DSP-based HPF & LPF. $300 new. Oh yah!, did I mention there's a 1100 Watt @ 4 ohm (bridged) power amp attached? :woot:

Drive it with your choice of pedal-board-or-rack pre-amp and FX chain. It has selectable, pedal-or-rack-friendly input sensitivity. :)

I feed the Crown with either a Mesa Subway Preamp DI, MXR M81 Bass Preamp, a homemade B-15 tube style preamp, or the sublime Behringer BDI21 combined with an ART Tube MP microphone preamp.

It beats watching the news, by light years.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    BassYerFaceoff, agedhorse and dabis like this.
  4. dabis

dabis

Mar 27, 2016
    Barcelona
    Electro-Harmonix

"...
    HPF — When CROSSOVER is engaged, the signal just prior to entering the distortion circuit is
    sent through a second-order high pass filter. The HPF knob adjusts the cutoff frequency range
    of the high pass filter from 125Hz to 1.75kHz, with the frequency increasing as the knob is
    turned clockwise.

LPF — When CROSSOVER is engaged the dry signal is sent through a second-order low pass
    filter. The LPF knob adjusts the cutoff frequency range of the low pass filter from 60Hz to
    10kHz, with the frequency increasing as the knob is turned clockwise."
    Bootsy-Collins-Deluxe-Bass-Big-Muff.

deluxe-bass-big-muff-pi.

Zbysek likes this.
  5. dabis

dabis

Mar 27, 2016
    Barcelona
    @basst scho basstalked about his new addition in the pedalboard.
    Gate_Hotone
    "GATE is a true-bypass designed noise reduction stompbox for guitarists/bassists. No matter what kind of style you are playing, this tiny pedal will effectively keep noise and hum away from your pedalboard without changing your own tone.
    The CUT button enables a more harder noise reduction mode, which provides a low cut filter (from 40Hz to 120Hz) and a high cut filter (from 5kHz to 15kHz) adjustable by the two small knobs onboard.
    It’s time to get rid of the annoying hum and noise----Keep your pedalboard pure!"
    1-16051009142Y09.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  6. basst scho

basst scho

May 30, 2017
    Bavaria
    great pedal. and even smaller than the pic in your post

drummer called it a wonderbox or something like that :)

dabis likes this.
  7. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Are you sure here? My research in manuals suggests differently so far...

8. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'd be very careful with stating all, but at least on the GK models I've looked into, I can confirm that most (not all) HPF-style roll-off happens post FX loop.

9. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    It's not the case with Mesa D-800+ and Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0

http://www.genzbenz.com/img/manuals/gb/SHUTTLE3_manual.pdf

Kro likes this.
  10. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Zbysek likes this.
  11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Correct, for bass guitar, the HPF works WAY better before features like the deep filter and low frequency EQ.

12. dabis

dabis

Mar 27, 2016
    Barcelona
    Contour'n Boost - Carl Martin

"...The Contour’n Boost is designed as a High Pass (low cut) and Low Pass (high cut) filter, with a fixed X-over frequency at 440Hz. The High Pass filter operates from 65Hz to 440Hz, and the Low Pass filter from 440Hz to 8kHz. Both filters are individually sweepable, with a boost range of up to 12dB..."

contour-boost.

Zbysek likes this.
  13. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    After considering @agedhorse 's recommendations, I've added the Broughton 'always on' HPF to the beginning of my small pedal board. I also use a Broughton HPF/LPF at the end of the chain (since I have one and do not want to sell) just to round off before going to the board or an amp.

Zbysek and Stumbo like this.
  14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Try it both ways and see what the difference is.

Zbysek, Stumbo and GrapeBass like this.
  15. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    When I stated that HPF's in amps are always post-effects, I meant simply that if you use effects, as on a pedal board, they likely go before the amp, so therefore almost all HPF's built into amps are post-effects.
    And seeing as how we are (or were) discussing primarily pedalboard mounted HPF's, I assumed that'd be a given.
    But we shifted to including amps with built-in HPF's, so I can see where the confusion lies.

dabis and agedhorse like this.
  16. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Oh, I see. My understanding of your point was that you meant effects in the effects loop...

17. dabis

dabis

Mar 27, 2016
    Barcelona
    Microtubes X – Darkglass Electronics

Microtubes X7 – Darkglass Electronics

"The Microtubes X series brings the studio method producers have been using the years to cover the whole bass distortion spectrum: from articulate high gain to punchy mild overdrive, raw and gnarly fuzz and everything in between. You now have absolute control in constructing your vision of what the perfect bass distortion texture, definition, and size should have."

Microtubes-X-Front-min.

Microtubes-X7-Front-min.

Zbysek likes this.
  18. Hi Agedhorse,
    I just got a used GBE 750, but haven't had the chance to take it out on a gig or rehearsal. Do you know at what frequency the HPF is set?
    It seems I might not need my Broughton HPF pedal with this amp.
    Ta!

19. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I believe the GBE-750 HPF is in the mid 20's. Be careful with small speakers driven hard ;)

Zbysek, caligula and dabis like this.
  20. Question: I have an Ampeg SVT3 Pro that has a parametric eq... Wouldn't cutting the lows at 33hz -12db (max cut) effectively be the same as a HPF? It seems that I've seen one or two of the hpf's mentioned here cutting to -12db anyway. Would that not work? (Or ANY parametric eq for that matter, pedal or amp based.)