Marta Altesa

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Skygoneblue, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    This thread is fast becoming a sexist rant and the reason why some bass players are over-rated! There is novelty and promotional value, for putting those two young girls with Jeff Beck n Jamiroquai! Just look at how much you're all talking about it. I'm sure there are far better players than Tal who could have cut it with Beck!

I'd much rather listen to a fat genius than get my rocks off on some young girl half my age. The comments i've read about Tal's appearance in the past have sometimes been disturbing!

For the record, i find Tal's style and repertoire boring, and it isn't really my thing. Of course she's a good player, just not as good as some other lessor known females (will post links later) in my humble opinion.

On the other hand, i think Marta has the goods, and i personally love her choice of repetoire and style.

2. funkytown

funkytown

Aug 2, 2012
    Jeff Beck is one of the greatest guitarists in history! He doesn't do gimmicks.

That we can agree on.

3. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    She's good but obviously aided by her fair attractiveness, in other words her musical talent is probably not her greatest asset. It happens, so what?

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Compared to a lot of, if not most of us here - better bass players, better looking, better contacts. Life's not fair, is it, so let's post some sexist or derogatory remarks about women bass players to make us feel better? :crying::crying::crying:

;)

El Spearo likes this.
  5. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Vinnie Colaiuta brought Tal into the Beck gig because Pino had other commitments, Jeff loved her playing right from the start, it's that simple. She just kicked a$$!

6. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA

7. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    +1000
    If you think Chameleon is the sum total or peak of Herbie Hancock's musical output, you are missing a whole lot more than an appreciation for Tal as a bass player.

bass nitro likes this.
  8. BedBass

BedBass

Nov 4, 2013
    Brixton, London
    It doesn't seem that anyone here understands what a male dominated industry and instrument it is! Whether for playing, looks, or both, throwing these three names around does not make female bassists any more represented and great fat male bassists any less represented.

9. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    Reviving an old thread here.

Just discovered he on YouTube and really been enjoying the playing.

And she has a very cute smile (smirk) as well.

I wish her well as a musician, and if her youth and 'sex appeal' help her along, so be it. You gotta use what you got!

10. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Still beats havin' a job Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    So has anyone heard anything new from Marta lately? Wondering why her career hasn't taken off... maybe that's not what she wants (or not in the way it was going for her). I'd love to hear what she does on an original tune, hers or somebody else's....

Why does it seem like America is the only country where it's hard for a female musician to be taken seriously, anyway? Sure, she's cute, but if she looked like Phyllis Diller I'd be just as impressed with her skills...

11. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    She's a solid player, but there are many of those, and that alone does not make a successful musical career.

BTW, Phyllis Diller consciously modified her image to look crazy on advice from others. She seems to have been pretty successful with it. Before that:
    cbdfcd86c8beaaa5675ff397dccf9962.jpg

odarellmc likes this.
  12. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Still beats havin' a job Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    She's better than solid, although my sample size is too small due to having only heard her do covers of songs..... I'm a solid bassist, and I have a career, and she's easier on the eyes than I am, I can guarantee. People like that, male or female, get work if they want it. Maybe she chose not to go pro with it on her own?

13. FerK

FerK

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    Or she did, and she's just not posting to Youtube/Facebook. I think she lives with/dates/married another talented bass player, a session player called Miki Santamaria. He used to do cruises, so there's an odd chance they've been cruising the world, funkying the seven seas. :D

14. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Physical attractiveness is one of the greatest assets one can have.

15. Joe lacava

Joe lacava Commercial User

Jun 20, 2016

Well if Jeff Beck wanted to have sex with Marta he should do it off stadge. Doesn't mean he should have to play with her on stadge.

16. bass nitro

bass nitro

Feb 21, 2011
    BG,SZ
    She plays...but covers,bass parts that have done already.It does not mean everything...things are different when you have to do your own music or your own bass part.I have seen many good-cover players sucks at doing not covers songs.Do covers is not impresive in my book...at least.

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  17. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Completely agree with you about creating a new bass-line, but...

Let me add ONE MORE thing while we are talking about "cover" players.
    There are TWO KINDS OF cover players:

1. You play a cover song with YOUR BAND, and there is NO RECORDED (pre-recorded) bass-line.
    It's ONLY you as a Bass Player who (A) either can deliver that bass-line (mood, character, feel, groove, articulation, etc...) or you cannot.

2. ANY other bass-players who play ALONG WITH THE RECORDED bass-line.

I'm still trying to find at least ONE (1) video where Marta plays with HER (or just some) band, when NOBODY'S standing behind that sound of the bass-line. My search is going on...

bass nitro likes this.
  18. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I'm still looking for the article I read on Marta where she discusses her decision to all but stop playing because of the hubbub over her looks. She describes it as very distracting, off-putting, and a few other words conveying her feelings.

Too bad too, she really can play. She's not Pino, but who around here is?

She has talent and I enjoyed her videos for what they were and no more.

19. bass nitro

bass nitro

Feb 21, 2011
    BG,SZ
    ...I got this,but what is the point of share them you-tube on?As far as i know Jamiro still have same bass player...or even Red Hot.All i wanted try to say,is that playing covers and posted them on you-tube is kind of waste of time for both players and listeners-IMO.

20. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Maybe, somebody could help us to answer your question.
    Let's just paraphrase it.

How much money can you make if you have 6,649,682 views in addition to 230,662 subscriptions?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021