1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Devon Bass Club...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by campbems, May 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    So, the pickup configuration is pretty much what sold me on the bass. I talked to Devon about it when it was in production, then I played it at NAMM and loved it... eventually I just bought it.

So, here's the deal. You can split the pickups, so I can pretty much get a JJ spacing if I split them to the opposing single coils. Add that to an actual good MM tone and I was pretty much sold. However, the true unexpected tonal Gem is the front Bigman soloed with a little drive. I was trying to cop a P bass vibe by putting it there, but what I got was much more aggressive and driving. I play in a band that basically does the "Journey through time" gimmick with a single guitar player. I had been using a B7K for a lot of the 90s rock stuff to thicken it up when we play, but with this bass I can seemingly knock quite a bit of distortion off the pedal and still achieve that presence I am looking for. In addition to that it has a passive tone control that will work on any configuration. Its a real Swiss Army Knife of tones and I am still just figuring everything out.

5StringPocket, sanwin17 and Fit4pain like this.
  2. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Cool. Devon was advocating for that config in a build I was talking with him about. He pointed me to your bass to see the config.

3. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Its pretty great if you are looking for tonal versatility. My band plays songs from every decade back to the 50s so versatility is important to me.

4. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    @lowendmafia

That was one of the most talked about basses Devon has made. That is very unusual configuration. I bet it's powerful and cut's with ease.

5. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Yeah, I had a bass that was the traditional Dual MM spacing and the neck pickup just didn’t have a usuable tone. Moving it back into the “sweet spot” make way more sense.

scubaduba and campbems like this.
  6. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

But if you sell this one to me, you can then order a new custom one!

sanwin17 and campbems like this.
  7. Janforth

Janforth Father of Chritobin Madden Challenge 19 Champion Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    GAS... I want this in a Fretless 4 string, same pickups and preamp

8. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    My second Devon.

Gen5 chambered Ash body and Ash top separated by laminant. The body was scorched before a nitrocellulose finish applied.
    You can feel the open grain which is really cool organic feel. Beautiful grain!

Lovely and light weight.

Antiqued neck. Evo Gold frets.

Nordstrand Big Split in the neck.
    Two Nordstrand humcancelling jazz pickups in the Bigman enclosure.

Coil tap for neck pickup/both pickups in series/bridge pickup makes for a lot of versatility.

Nordstrand 3b Preamp.

This one is 34" scale. My other is 35".

Here's the bass on the Devon site: Devon Bass Guitars

93E9AFB5-81C1-4BDA-8EC3-D524752BEBBD.

55E11E49-124D-4ABD-A3B8-D6D6DB7E188C.

8289708E-51BE-4B5B-9002-0B05E4B2DEC3.

28121538-EB55-4B7C-B801-2F8834457776.

69DE33D9-91C2-4F54-B51C-399A8BED17AB.

8EBC90FD-21A6-4573-8C0F-BDFDD7C98FCD.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    emjazz, ELG60, Clecoguy and 4 others like this.
  9. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Love the look of this Devon.

scubaduba likes this.
  10. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Got pics in last night for the knobs Devon had made for me to match my Cocobolo Devon outbid the same Wood. Still likes the Poly coat but these will be very nice on this amazing bass.

343D8524-C08A-44AC-B8A7-6FFF35D3517A. 571ACD41-5A18-43DD-896D-8FC72077FA9A.

ELG60, TolerancEJ and RussT like this.
  11. sanwin17

sanwin17 Please mommy, you just gotta buy this amplifier. Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    My Devon is on order. We're about 95% set on the specs. Don't know when Devon will have time to devote to constructions but I'm hoping within the next 6-12 months.

RussT and campbems like this.
  12. sanwin17

sanwin17 Please mommy, you just gotta buy this amplifier. Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    I'm hoping to have it by the time I'm 70 in January 2020. I think this will be my last bass buy so I'm counting on something special. Thanks

campbems likes this.
  13. RussT

RussT Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Toronto
    I say that every couple of weeks.

sanwin17 and campbems like this.
  14. RussT

RussT Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Toronto
    IMG_8264.PNG IMG_8265.PNG

This is what I have in the works from Devon. Will have a Nordstrand 3b preamp with passive tone control. Nordy DC pups with switches for single coil/series/parallel. All black hardware with a clear pickguard and a cream pearloid pickguard. It's a swamp ash body with a quilted Sapelle top and an Indian Rosewood freboard. Gonna be nice man! Can't wait.

15. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I've never played anything that's better than those Pickups in the Devon basses I've owned. You will love that combination.

RussT likes this.
  16. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Knobs getting ready to have poly finish.

F993F971-4643-4A8E-956C-ADC5FC52988F. 3635055C-5A5C-4EFB-99DE-895F5B094C60.

sanwin17, TolerancEJ and RussT like this.
  17. RussT

RussT Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Toronto
    Hey Steve I live in Uxbridge and play in Pickering regularly. I am at the westhore bar and grill on June 22. Will be bringing the Devon that you see in my Avatar to that gig. I have another custom build on the way. If you are available come by and check it out. They are amazing instruments. I will be playing it through my Genzler Magellan head and berg HDN 12" cabs. Killer combination of amp/cabs/bass.

SadowskySteve and campbems like this.
  18. Holy cr@p ! We're practically neighbors.
    I'm in Russ . See you on the 22nd. Also a bonus that your using a Genzler head.

RussT likes this.
  19. @RussT did you get your Devon from the big sale? If so thanks for saving my marriage. I was very close to pulling this trigger on it. And I mean very close!

campbems and RussT like this.
  20. RussT

RussT Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Toronto
    I did Steve. I had been lusting after it for months and when Devon had his sale I had to. About a week after playing it I custom ordered another. It is that good.

SadowskySteve and campbems like this.