1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Devon Bass Club...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by campbems, May 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bassmantd

Bassmantd Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2015
    I need to sell mine first!

2. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Well I put a set of Pure Blues on my Devon last night. Definitely have less clank but lost some punch too. Hmm. Not sure the Pure Blues are gonna do it. Time will tell. Maybe I am really just a stainless guy. Fat Beams next I think.

3. RussT

RussT Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Toronto
    ^^^
    I used nickel until about 4 years ago and I can’t go back now. SS all the way for me.

4. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I’ve never tried Stainless with the exception of Elixer. I’m just afraid of premature fret wear...who am I kidding, I don’t keep a bass long enough for that lol.

5. RussT

RussT Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Toronto
    LOL. That's precisely why I didn't use them and why I now do. I get a couple months at best out of an instrument. They always leave in the exact same shape they came to me.

6. I received a custom bass and soon after I replaced the strings with stainless. Much later, I noticed the neck beginning to bow. When I brought it to a respected local luthier, he identified a few issues. One of the contributing factors was the strings I replaced. He suggested to go with lighter gauge of nickel strings. (I still need to return to have the other issues addressed, but that's another topic.)

7. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Bass cleaned and conditioned the fretboard. New set of DR Pure Blues installed and intonation perfectly setup. This beauty is ready for worship services tomorrow.

64FAC5C9-E80B-4312-AC76-CCBC1E5C7614. FC8715C0-C874-424B-AC49-F4B81EC7765A. E5A9161D-19F0-4816-8BA3-45BACCFB8785. FFAB92CE-D117-48BC-91BF-51F9B83C9780. D4D05907-5A3C-4E9D-B38C-43BDDB6CF4CA. 4AD80A4A-21EA-4E4D-AE97-57335919C864. 5DAF132B-F6AB-43BB-AF20-EE965CF3DCA1.

kittywithabanjo and sanwin17 like this.
  8. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Unless it sells first right? ;)

Looks beautiful!

emjazz likes this.
  9. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    You talked me out of a huge mistake. This bass kills in every way and would definitely be a regret if I let it go.

scubaduba likes this.
  10. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    I don’t see how you could sell a gem like that. Interested in how this one compares to the new one with Big Rigs.

emjazz likes this.
  11. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I love the Big Rigs playing in a low volume situation or practicing but they don’t have the clarity or punch I like with the Nordstrand DC pickups. They are nice pickups but not near my favorites. I sold that Big Rig bass to a friend and he’s loving it though.

5StringPocket likes this.
  12. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Really? It still looks for sale to me.

slamsinger likes this.
  13. slamsinger

slamsinger Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Coventry RI
  14. Why nickel? I find that stainless steel strings feel less “tight”.