The Combo Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChefKen, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Smacked in the face with King Crimson as I wake ... first thing I amble into from the smrtphn before coffee is brewed is a King Crimson swag site. A patch would be nice for a gig bag. All priced in GBP so ... gonna pass. Lark's Tongue in Aspic got a lot of play in stereo days. So did Starless and Bible Black. Saw Robert Fripp at a free show in the atrium of the World Financial Center. Ranking that as awesome.

Feeling like the virtual bassist here as I see my rig extends to my computer. A low- to moderate power combo for live situations oh like a
    Rocket 115
    well it's got to have a DI.
    [GoF] Why on earth is the DI on the Foxy Voxy pre-EQ? :: smh :: [GoF]

Protagonist, swink, RodRy and 3 others like this.
  2. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    And leaving out the NuTube vibe at the same time? Can’t figure it out either. My combo goes up for sale today along with my Rumbler 100. I need the room (guess why) and have concluded they’re just not desired any longer. Someone’s gonna get a great deal with either.

M, I listened to the KC flute piece upon my descending into Lullaby Land a few hours ago. It was quite nice.

3. In youth I had a friend with an allowance sufficient to build an extensive collection of LPs. He introduced me to much music that would never have been listened to by any others in my circle of friends. King Crimson, early Fleetwood Mac, Big Brother and the Holding Company, Ultimate Spinach, Quicksilver Messenger Service and many others came to me through him. KC was a “Close the door!” selection.

4. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Oh yes, I'm down with Crimson, going out for coffee. Too early to Bluetooth to the headset. Making it a double latte.

20210610_155030.jpg

Yeah really, why bypass the NuTube. Could be someone, somewhere decided (for us) if there's a DI out on the Foxy Voxy the tweakage should happen downstream. All kinds of plug-ins for the computer for every EQ, compression, and Fourth of July fireworks all together for the savvy engineer. Which I am not, nor do I aspire to be.

The weird thing is, with the lockdown a lot of us became ad hoc recording engineers out of necessity. No harm in knowing what goes on, on the back end of recording. so OKAY make the Foxy Voxy someone else's recording amp, someone else with all the professional level toys ... professional level toys. It's a Thing. :meh: FINE.

If I want a pre-EQ DI there are all manner of professional grade DIs :: deep breath :: so MIC MY VOX :D

5. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    I wish the line out would include the Nutube colouring too, but I also see an advantage of the transparent signal. Basically it makes it easy to chain amps together to get a bi-amp thing happening. I am even thinking of picking up a second one so I can chain two together and then connect them to my other Vox running into a 15" cab. Madness!

6. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA

OMG, and they call me the crazy scientist...ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce to you, the Mad Doctor! ;)

Even though M brings up a good point about the needs and wants of a recording bassist and their NuTubes, I still have to side with our Canadian chum who would still like a direct injection of Vox’s prized circuit through his equipment.

How’s this? A NuTube pedal? Now that could be interesting because everyone wins! Time to write Korg... :hyper:

7. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Part of the attraction of a Foxy Voxy for me is the EQ. (It has a lot of other points too.) If (and predicated by a very big "I don't know" and an extra helping of "beyond any alleged understanding of Vox' engineering") the Vox EQ is "classic" then it behaves like a Fender EQ. Except different. But the same. Dime the mids, turn down the bass and treble, and go.

The last time I played a Fender Bassman is so well into the last century it's not worth comment. But I'd like to try. What I don't want to do is use a Vox combo to get an Ampeg tone. :meh: Meebee pick up that beautiful Hofner Contemporary I played (~ nine bills), and there'll need to be enough budget for 60’s Fashion for Women (How to Get the 1960s Style) - The Trend Spotter

Protagonist, swink, RodRy and 2 others like this.
  8. Yes- MIC THE VOX seems to be tha answer there- ummm- I guess I could see why a dry signal out could be useful, but…

Plenty if regular pre-amp DI boxes out there if you want wet signal- often good enough for that “fly rig” and just go FOH/PA and go ampless-

M- you NEED that RB 115. Just in case. Just because. It has the DI out post EQ as well. :thumbsup:

9. Oh- and King Crimson is just life-altering. In a good way…:bassist::woot::bassist:

Protagonist, swink, RodRy and 2 others like this.
  10. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    There is also "too early in the day for King Crimson" :)

A 115 combo is like Linus' blanket to me :p

11. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    If anyone's online and looking for something to do, I just posted on a thread entitled, ...Are we heading Back to Combos?" or something like that. Heck, I never thought we left 'em! I'll accept and appreciate any additional wisdom on the topic from our club's brain trust. JakobT went on and was his usual honest and forthright self. Maybe some others have chimed in as well and thank you if you did. Nothing earthshaking, but I thought to start your weekend off you'd enjoy defending the realm.

Protagonist, swink and RodRy like this.
  12. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    I commented on the thread. I said why not both? And posted this picture.

IMG_20210531_0832107.jpg

13. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Ya da man, Doc! Leave it to the CC to offer an olive branch to a group that hasn’t always been as kind to we comboites!

14. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Protagonist, swink, edr and 3 others like this.
  15. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posting your for-sale items on TB classifieds?
    :greedy:

16. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016

Pre- vs Post-EQ DI is a contentious topic everywhere that amps are used. Amazing how a great amp with a built-in Post-EQ-only DI will be passed over without considering a simple DI box that goes between the bass and amp! But, a built-in Pre-EQ-only DI then requires a mic on it to get the player's selected sound. Either can be a deal breaker! O, for the want of a simple Pre/Post switch!

Yeah! If yer gonna tout the Nutube as a tube sound then, dagnabit(!)*, put that sucker into the DI, for Pete's sake!

* Just who is "dag" (Dagwood?), and why should he nab what?

Yeah, there's that. Or tri-amp. Or quad-amp, or ..., or ... ... I don’t know the effective limit to how many Foxy Voxys could be chained together in that way. Might depend on the lengths of the connecting cables, or the available power circuits, or sumpin' technical like that. The downside is that each amp would have to be EQ'd individually. :eek:

Yeah! They say, "Nutube gives you that real tube sound!" Then later you hear that nagging little voice whispering, "but micing is the only way to reinforce or record that sound!"

"You're welcome, ...", they say, "... for a real old-school tube amp." "Oh, but it's also got an old-school DI built right in! (... to keep that tubey goodness accessible only by old-school methods, too.)" :rollno:

Here in the 21st Century there are many, many ways to electronically capture the dry signal of a bass for whatever purpose you may wish. How many ways are there to electronically capture this new innovative Nutube sound of the Vox VX50BA? One. Just one method, which is as old as sound recording itself. :meh:

And don't get me started on how Vox slighted the bass version of the Mini SuperBeetle.

17. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Well, thanks to @lordradish, I found out about a super deal from Amazon on the Poweradd battery being on sale for less than half price. It arrived yesterday and after a long pre-charge, I got to plug it into the little D4.

Wow, same sound and volume levels as when it's just plugged into the wall. Now I can take it to anywhere in the house or out and make a beautiful noise. I'm hoping that the pandemic restrictions will mean that the acoustic jam (no amps or mics) that I used to go to will start again this summer of fall. I believe this little unit will hang well with a big batch of guitars, mandolins, and autoharps.

Time will tell, but super happy in the short term.
    :laugh:

18. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Hey RR! Yeah, what a guy. Mentions he’d opening up the candy store and never lets anyone through the door.

My brother from Des Moines came home and we spent the day. I’ll probably burn the midnight oil to post in the classifieds tonight. I’m looking to move some stock in order to clear some needed space in my too-small room.

Thanks for the reminder!

68Tele-Bass, RodRy, swink and 3 others like this.
  19. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    I knew that last one was coming, but after re-reading what we wrote, I have to concur with you that the SuperBeetle bass rig was slighted, especially compared to thr guitar amp version. Too bad too. Why, oh why, couldn’t that have put in an equivalent ten in the cab than the eight? :bored:

68Tele-Bass, RodRy, swink and 3 others like this.
  20. edr

edr

Mar 28, 2019
    I swear I'd run across something like this online recently, let's see if I can find it again...

EDIT:
    This wasn't the one I was thinking of, but it seems Vox makes these:
    Vox Silk Drive Overdrive Pedal with NuTube

Edit again:
    Dang there's a lot of options, especially from Vox.

Yet another edit:
    Korg already read your mind, sort of? OD-S - NUTUBE OVERDRIVE KIT | KORG (USA)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    RodRy, Protagonist, swink and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021