1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Pedulla Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by p0k, Apr 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    No note in my cavity, alas.

2. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Under the truss rod cover?

3. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Haven’t checked: will do :)

4. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    This may be buried somewhere in this thread, but as Pedulla website is no more, anyone keep a list of serial numbers and dates from there?

5. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    It’s one of the few pages still up (for now...):
    http://www.pedulla.com/html/date_your_bass.html

drumsnbass and TolerancEJ like this.
  6. Pedullist

Pedullist

Oct 31, 2016
    My charcoal MVP5 looked nice today....

dsc_0186-2-e1577447289927.jpg

7. Lovely Basses everyone! I hope to join this club someday soon...

I am in the market for a 4 string buzz. Could you club members point me in the right direction for buying a used Pedulla and perhaps give me an idea of what price range I should look at?

I have been looking at eBay and reverb...

Thankyou and happy holidays!
    Pbass888

8. OldSchool50

OldSchool50 OldSchool50 Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Connecticut
    Where are all the 4-string Pedullas ? There are so many fives and six string. Is that because So many fewer were made or because people hold onto them?

9. rhs1856

rhs1856

Jan 15, 2008
    Waltham, MA
    I seldom play them - got 'em strung as piccolo basses now for special arrangements - but I'm holding onto my 80s Buzz & '94 MVP 4s... ;)

10. Gusdfunk

Gusdfunk

Aug 10, 2017
    Bay Area
    Yep, 4st. Buzzes don't seem come for sale too often. My 2 cents is: if you find a 5 that fits your specs and the price is fair... get it (or even a 6 Buzz, so you don't have to choose between a low B or high C).
    For fun, I routinely watch ebay/reverb/TB for Pedullas -- and generally people are asking too much -- all these Pedullas sit there for months and month and don't sell... and this means they're overpriced. Yes, Mike retired, yes the stock market is at record levels... but if it ain't selling, (you're) asking too much!
    I've seen some sell between $2-$3K, but those have been pristine, less than 10 years old, and have some other factor going on e.g. 5A flame, or a nice color... and sold by private sellers who are clearly bass players (thus I would have more confidence that everything is working as it should/been cared for/probably more of a description.)
    I would say a decent used Pedulla 4st/5st with decent case/bag with seller asking $1750-$2,150... this bass would be sold in 1-6 days.
    Add $100 (or less) for shipping.
    Add more $ if pickups are soapbars or JJ. Add more $ if color is cool e.g. purple, peacock, green.
    Ask for a picture of the truss rod adjustment... unless the bass is pristine (cared for) and it seems like the truss rod is not messed up, then be cautious because if it's messed up, it is not worth your trouble.

pbass888 likes this.
  11. rhs1856

rhs1856

Jan 15, 2008
    Waltham, MA
    Interesting... Mike told me once that he liked the PJ config best, & I agree, so JJ or Soapbars being premium is surprising to me. I have all 3 options, in various vintages, & I actually like PJ + the older 3-knob w/o 'guts switch best.

I had my green/blue burst PentaBuzz refinished in purple (almost went with the caramel, which is very tasty) this year, but I don't think it's a popular color.

Raptures, inc JJ models, often go for pretty reasonable prices still. I don't care for the neck on those, however

mtb777, BlacksHole and pbass888 like this.

12. Fantastic info , thankyou so much !
    I’m officially on the hunt. I saw the ones you mentioned on eBay and reverb and agree they are a little high , especially compared to what things have been going for on this forum.

Thanks again @Gusdfunk!

13. Gusdfunk

Gusdfunk

Aug 10, 2017
    Bay Area
    Additionally: adding more money for JJ or Soapbar pickups is not always right... it just seems that sometimes generates more interest because it's not too common. (Also, it seems people either want Pedulla proprietary pickups or they much prefer other non-original pickups and believe they have more character and volume.) Also I would say my price opinions imply: original paint that does not have significant wear/damage and a fretboard that does not have much wear or peeling around the fret markers, and little/no fretboard wear between 24th fret and bridge.
    For a Buzz that has bad body wear/paint. Or has something going on that has the bass be less than average... would say 900-1750 with a middle area of 1350.
    (I have been told/read that original Pedulla paint flakes/chips easily because it is a thin layer of polyurethane... thus it is common to see chips or peeling body paint on Pedullas esp. around the headstock and horns. IMHO, Mike's paint color choices far beat out any custom job I've seen.)

TolerancEJ and pbass888 like this.
  14. @Gusdfunk thankyou again! Now that Mr Pedulla is retired, do you have to find an alternate source of you buy a “player grade with lots of finger board wear on the polyester?

Thankyou again for all the help and I will continue my quest to join this club!

TolerancEJ and Shedua511 like this.
  15. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    I’m pretty sure Mike Lull could help you there.

pbass888 likes this.
  16. thankyou @drumsnbass !

17. srbbass

srbbass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Pedulla? and pbass888 like this.
  18. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    I got my Buzz back from having the fretboard stripped, leveled and refinished with poly a few weeks ago. I played it at practice tonight and, OH MAN, does it feel great!!! Mark did a terrific job and the work was 1/3 rd what Michael would charge!! (Full disclosure, I did not have to ship it and have it shipped back, so some $ savings there). It took almost 8 weeks to complete, but it was ABSOLUTELY worth the wait. Mark is a perfectionist and I was happy to give him the time to be perfect!

For anyone in New England that needs their Pedulla refreshed, Mark is a great option at a great price.

I will need to remove the NYXL rounds, as they have already started marking the new poly. I'll probably go to my default strings, GHS Pressurewounds, to help minimize the marking/grooving over time. The NYXLs are too bright for me anyway; I had to turn the Tone knob all the way down to get a sound that I wanted in my band practice tonight.
    IMG_2558-med.JPG IMG_2559-med.JPG IMG_2560-med.JPG IMG_2561-med.JPG

pbass888, I know you are in AZ now, but if you make your way back to New York, look Mark up in CT if you want a Buzz fretboard refinish. Mine now feels and plays how I always remembered a Pedulla did that made me want one for all these years! Good luck!

19. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area

I may be wrong here but I believe most finishes like poly harden up with more time.

the longer you don’t play it the harder the finish should get.

CTBassGuy likes this.
  20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think I picked up insight as to why Michael Pedulla ceased production. I was at Bass Central yesterday, and I got to play a Dingwall NG3, an incredible bass. For the heck of it, I asked what my Pedulla would be worth in a trade. He said nothing because the demand for fretlesses has dropped lately. I believe him because I came there, I only one fretless out of the 304 basses they had in stock although I did see a sweet Tony Franklin Precision fretless too. The salesman also mentioned that Bass Central had also stopped carrying a lot of brands. I think most the brands dropped were smaller boutique makers. The bottom line is that I think Pedulla fell victim to a changing market.