1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Mike.C.

Mike.C.

Jan 2, 2016
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Congratulations! You will love it.

MCF, GonePlaid, RedVee and 4 others like this.
  2. Has anyone mentioned that now they are available in Australia the rrp for an Epi VP is $1549 ($US1073)? The street price is $1239 ($US858). You see Gibson Birds going for those prices.

MCF, Gaolee, Dr_Feelgoood212 and 9 others like this.
  3. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    My personal plehtora of plectrums, plectra, plectri, plectrolysis, platypi picks
    upload_2019-5-15_19-31-41.
    I use the Orange Tortex the most (across both bass and guitar) I've started experimenting with the Gator Grips and am finding that I tend to prefer the .96mm and 1.14mm which is much different than the .60 Tortex that I've used for 20+ years but here I am, trying new things :thumbsup: The JD207 and felt ones are for specific sounds for specific songs or projects.

As I mentioned, I use the Orange Tortex the most. So much so that I buy them by the gross. In the picture below, the pick on the left is new from the bag. The pick on the right was new from the bag an hour and a half ago. We went through one set of 11 songs :)
    upload_2019-5-15_19-39-19.

4. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Congratulations!

It's an incredible bass, white being the best color. It'll fit in a newer Gibson case too.

Gaolee, GonePlaid, RedVee and 10 others like this.
  5. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I hope you're strong, the call of the Siren Thunderbird is unrelenting. :)

MCF, Gaolee, GonePlaid and 8 others like this.
  6. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Up here the VPs run about $700USD at Sweetwater and if you're real lucky you can grab an occasional blowout deal on a NOS 2018 Gibson Thunderbird or demo 2019 Gibson Thunderbird for about $1000USD. At a spread of $300USD I'd take the the VP. But if the spread ever dropped down to $150USD or below I'd go for the Gibby.

Edit: not positive, but I don't think that the Eppi comes with a HDSC at that price but the Gibby does. I suspect a factory HDSC would run in the neighborhood of $150, which brings the price spread down to my Gibby trigger point. Interesting dilemma, exactly what strategic product pricing is supposed to create. Maybe Gibson is finally getting their marketing act together. Price top tier low overhead model the same as NOS and new top tier Demo USA built models.

Gaolee, GonePlaid, Nocturnal and 7 others like this.
  7. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    It does not.

:whistle:
    upload_2019-5-15_20-21-10.

I'm not an enabler!!! ... oh... wait...

GonePlaid, Nocturnal, RedVee and 4 others like this.
  8. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    LOL - can't tempt me on that deal. I already have an Eppi VP and a newer Gibby Bird. Love em both, and I try not to duplicate what I already have.

Kriegs, GonePlaid, RedVee and 5 others like this.
  9. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I like the design of that case - if that's what it costs, so be it.

10. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    So I separated the head of a Peavey Combo 300 from its cab a couple weeks ago. Tonight I used its bi-amp capability, sending the highs going to an Eden D410-T, and I sent the lows to the Trace 250SMX head, and into my DIY 210 cab. The Epi Bird benefitted greatly from that signal routing: the Eden handles mids and highs beautifully, and that little 210 can blow out some low end. Some time with the Peavey's eq got it to sit together nicely. The sound was clear and full, not too much of anything. It was a well-ordered sound, felt great.
    I'm liking the bi-amp idea.

11. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    I tried them back in the day because my hero Chris Squire was known to use them. That lasted a month or so. I’m trying to get the pick thing down, but it’s just more comfortable with the fingers.

12. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I also like a bi-amp option although utilizing it live is a PI the A. I've done it but not often. It's why Ric's are mostly played w/o the stereo option. "in a perfect world..."

13. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I agree it's kind of a hassle. I dislike hassle, would like a simple solution, which I'm working on...

Chucky Stiletti, JJR58, PillO and 4 others like this.
  14. RedVee

RedVee

Dec 24, 2014
    Australia
    At those prices I’m pleased I jumped at the Gibby. 2nd hand, from memory, $1300 delivered with OHSC

MCF, Chucky Stiletti, PillO and 4 others like this.
  15. Ultimately, if you’re happy with the music and the band’s happy and the fans are happy, it doesn’t much matter whether you use fingers, picks, tentacles, toes, nose, or pretty much anything that won’t get you arrested.

16. Felix Lopez

Felix Lopez

May 15, 2018
    4E3573E6-D8EC-45D8-A20B-64099DEAC6F3.

Butcherboy, MCF, Klondike and 11 others like this.
  17. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Abuser of Thunderbird Shaped Objects. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona

18. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    It just reinforces the difference between 'ideal' and reality - ideally expanding ones sonic palette with trick kit is exciting if one can justify it based on real-world application circumstances. For most of us that is just not an option, so given that parameter - make minimal maximal through your playing. By doing that the rest of the band (who we are supporting) will also excel!

MCF, Engle, Chucky Stiletti and 6 others like this.
  19. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Less is more, play with intent. Diggy.

Engle, Chucky Stiletti, JJR58 and 5 others like this.