1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    As Lincoln Hayes would say... solid! RIP Julie Barnes (Peggy Lipton)

The_Mod_Squad_Season_3_-_the_complete_ve-6631_upc_773848663132_1400x.

2. Peggy, Doris Day, Tim Conway... rough week in entertainment.

3. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    This BaCH is pretty goddamn sweet. Wasn't so fond of the Artec (not that it sounds bad), so I swapped the Greco pickup in and it slams. Played it for practice today and will likely take it to a show tomorrow.

Butcherboy, MCF, Engle and 14 others like this.
  4. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    My favorite Tim Conway image is of his climb at shows end of the 'infinity stairway into the clouds' until he reached the painting wall of it going further - and just stopping there, facing the painting as credits rolled by. And yes, Doris Day ...

dorisday-10.

MCF, Mike.C., Chucky Stiletti and 7 others like this.
  5. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    She recorded a version of "High Hopes" that kills it.
    But I'm still working on a bi-amp rig...

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    MCF, JIO, GBassNorth and 4 others like this.
  6. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
    Nothing's the same as two amps IMO. I use one of these at the amps end:

EP-0950 Y Phono Plug Connector

No special cords, just a short one between the splitter and the second amp.

Mike.C., Gaolee, JIO and 8 others like this.
  7. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Quick report on the new VP. After one rehearsal I'm impressed. This thing is legit--both in build quality and tone. It's nearly as comfortable as my '64. I still can't find a visual flaw on it. It doesn't sound "kind of" like an old T-bird. It sounds like one allowing for differences from instrument to instrument. The pickups are HOT! Epi did a great job on those. I had to turn down my amp several times from the previous use of my '64. The pickups aren't just loud, they also sound great. I haven't tried the same strings as my '64 yet, but did use GHS Pressurewounds which are also made with Alloy52, so they are in somewhat the same tonal area. The VP doesn't seem to have the amazingly thick lows of the '64 at this point, but that may be due to string differences. Regardless, it still sounds amazing. Rarely, if ever do I get a new bass and my first string try sounds that good. Normally it's trial and error thing until I hit on one and have a "that's it" moment. The only issue is a slight hum with either or both PUs (a lot of florescent lights present). Still a little surprised by that. It's only noticeable when nothing is going on. May look at some shielding at some point, but it's not a big deal at this point. I'm impressed and very happy. And...my '64 Epi Embassy Deluxe (nerd-bird) arrives today.

Butcherboy, MCF, Mike.C. and 16 others like this.
  8. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    @Dadagoboi , by two amps, do you mean two bass amps, one set with EQ for highs and the other set with EQ for lows?

PillO, GBassNorth, GonePlaid and 2 others like this.
  9. ToddOfThunder

ToddOfThunder

Feb 9, 2016
    Cool, will do thanks!

GBassNorth and GonePlaid like this.
  10. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    Queen V or someone around here (maybe Gaolee) always says that mo' birds is mo' better. I may be paraphrasing there a bit, but the message remains the same :laugh:

MCF, Chucky Stiletti, Gaolee and 9 others like this.
  11. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Pretty much all of us say that, with one possible exception that I can think of. Oddly enough, I'm pretty much full up and don't see that changing unless a '64 comes along with a price tag I can contemplate without ironic laughter. Meaning it will never happen.

MCF, Mike.C., ToddOfThunder and 9 others like this.
  12. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Never really gave much thought to dual amping my basses, mostly because I seldom use pedals with my basses and therefore really don't need a clean/dirty split. However I did get a chance to use one of these in a friends guitar rig. He had it set up for wet/dry/wet with three small combo rigs and two pedal boards. Sounded great, but talk about complex.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DualSGoS--lehle-dual-sgos-amp-switcher?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3331288379&rkg_id=0&product_id=DualSGoS&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping - Core - Guitars - Vendor&adgroup=Guitars - Guitar Pedals & Effects&placement=google&adpos=1o2&creative=332063179659&device=t&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1JbM16eg4gIVVx-tBh0nOgVbEAQYAiABEgLRpvD_BwE

The VP is such a great deal, love mine as well. Currently using Fender 7150M nickel rounds and like them a lot. Also had very good luck with Cobalt Flats. Wasn't able to get ultra thick lows with the stock strings but both the Fender and Cobalt strings delivered there.

Mo birds is always better. I have five now and room for one more - either a new or vintage NR. But that's all, I swear. (Fingers crossed behind my back)

MCF, dagrev, Mike.C. and 6 others like this.
  13. I'm good at two- a 4 and a 5 string. If I were trying to make a living, or even a serious second income off bass, that would probably change, but not drastically. Drastically were I to become a session musician, but that would require Carol Danvers level change, or every other bass player on the planet being abducted by aliens. Maybe not even then.

MCF, Mike.C., Nocturnal and 8 others like this.
  14. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    The 4 i have are overkill, but it's fun, and it's all about the fun of it for me.
    I'll always play, even if i don't seriously gig again.

MCF, Mike.C., Nocturnal and 10 others like this.
  15. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    I desperately want another Tbird but I haven't found the right one yet. Other than my current Bird, I just haven't been able to bond with those others that I've tried.
    I wanted a MAX but that's no longer in the stars unless I can find a used one with a neck & color combo that I like. I will eventually get either a Sandberg Forty Eight or a Dingwall Dbird.

MCF, Mike.C., RedVee and 4 others like this.
  16. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    it makes sense if the rig is well thought out (smaller amp for the highs, both amps in a single rack and an integrated box or even separate ones for imaging purposes) and even then, this idea lost favor over a decade ago...to go out with an SVT and a 2000S just to use a rick-o-sound feature? ...nah...no thanks..

MCF, ToddOfThunder, PillO and 6 others like this.
  17. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Simple and ez cartage. No spaghetti, no balancing heavy, wired up objects. Two trips? Fine. Can't do it easily alone? Nope.
    Small footprint, easy on the eyes.

Hold my beer...

MCF, GonePlaid, ToddOfThunder and 6 others like this.
  18. Chucky Stiletti

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    one trip...mo betta..

MCF, GonePlaid, ToddOfThunder and 4 others like this.
  19. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I got what I got... for now. Cardio is the upside.

MCF, GonePlaid, ToddOfThunder and 7 others like this.
  20. Chucky Stiletti

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    ha! I had my laminectomy 20 years ago....cardio's good but a lower back is kinda necessary ..:D