1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TL-606 owners unite

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JazzbassArt, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Hey Liam,

Don at LDS is building a TL 606 for me with 3015,
    in this pic yours seems to be larger than what Don
    is building for me,may i ask what the dimensions of
    your cabs are?thoes are some cool cabs right there..

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    From what I hear, they're very similar to traditional 606's. Two differences are that the Oranges don't come with an optional port cover, and they are equipped with (I think) Eminence Betas or Deltas. Solid drivers, but different sonically from the EV's. The Orange is definitely a no-frills box, but neither is the 606.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    The box is a TL606 if it's constructed the same, with the same dimensions. Of course, one could easily build a lighter box with exactly the same internal volume and tuning but with different construction, and then it would not be a TL606. But the "port cover" or lack thereof doesn't really define the TL606.

The driver you are hunting for is the Eminence Kappa, I think.

4. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    Can you tell me how? Thinner, stronger wood and bracing? I am not good with the math, but I can make things. Ugh, I sound like a caveman.

5. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    greenboy is all about 1/2" void-free ply with intelligently-designed internal bracing.

6. Would you compare your 1-15" sub box to the 606, using the same woofer? Opinions and estimations are preferred. :)

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Well, you really have to name the woofer.

But if we were looking at Em 3015, the fEarful box is really larger than needed for it and takes the 3015 power handling down. Because the box is designed around 3015LF and would better fit drivers with tendencies similar to it.

But it's real easy to build light boxes around the same internal volume and tuning as the TL606. Not much bracing needed, but one could add more port cross-section as the TL606 was designed when drivers had lower power handling than many of the drivers that are a suitable fit today. If you look at Barefaced Bass's COMPACT that is approximately the internal space as a TL606 but is incredibly light. That uses proprietary plywood though. But with run-of-the mill 1/2" one could easily drop down to maybe 36-40 REAL WORLD pounds (not cab marketing pounds!) and have a better cab, and it could be done with plain butt joints, and much like the fEarful design.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
  9. I once had a pair of the 606's with EV's and liked them. I was inched from building another pair with either of the 3015 speakers, when I looked at your plans. I know the sound I want- a Westlake studio monitor 10 cu. ft. 2-15" with Gauss's, but I also want something I can move. :) So I'm looking at your sub plans with the 3015LF. I like the clarity, purity of sound, and thump the Westlakes have. The only other box I've had that got that sound was a Sunn 2000S bottom.

So it's an A/B with the 606 with a 3015 or your sub with the LF......

"But it's real easy to build light boxes around the same internal volume and tuning as the TL606. Not much bracing needed, but one could add more port cross-section as the TL606 was designed when drivers had lower power handling than many of the drivers that are a suitable fit today"

So are you suggesting maybe raising the port shelf to about three inches for the LF driver in a 606?

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Check out this thread. You could PM the participants if you want more candid opinions than they may present here.

I have a slightly tweaked TL606 loaded with a 3015LF -- don't do that as a standalone! It's a subwoofer, plain and simple. And even then, a properly sized cab (as in bigger) will work much better, especially for low B. I had to tune the porting down and take the sensitivity hit to make that driver work for my purposes. It sounds fine, but I still consider it a waste of a nice driver.

FWIW, my cab weighs 44 pounds, and was built with 3/4" ply and the regular 606 construction as far as joints and bracing.

12. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I just aquired a ratty TL606 empty cab on fleaybay. Should have it fixed up and loaded with a 3015 kappalite in a week or two. Just had a big injury to my left shoulder, may need surgery, so it will slow things down a bit, but looking forward to hearing the finished product ASAP.

13. beyondthe48

beyondthe48 Guest

Apr 29, 2007
    so i take it a 3015 is the closest thing to the original EVM-15L?

who makes this 3015?

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't know what would make you think that...

15. beyondthe48

beyondthe48 Guest

Apr 29, 2007
    well ive never seen the 3015, and everyone seems to change from the evm15L to the 3015

is there a new equivalent to the evm-15L - meaning a speaker with the same specs?

16. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  17. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    The reason most people are swapping the EVM15L with the Eminence Kappalite 3015 is because they can be used in similar-sized boxes.

However, the Kappalite is modern technology, where the EV is '80's (or even '70's technology). The EV's are heavy, inefficient, and sonically limited. The Kappalite has a neodymium magnet, and weighs less than 10 lbs to achieve a better end result in a box of similar geometry to the ideal EV enclosure. That's why they're the go-to substitute these days.

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    All true: however, they do not sound similar.
    Just sayin'.

19. beyondthe48

beyondthe48 Guest

Apr 29, 2007
    too bad the 3015 is an 8ohm

i need a 4ohm

20. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    build two;)

they will build 4 ohm on request. it's expensive.