1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wouldn't anyone play a metric bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gln1955, Nov 30, 2018.

1. G-Z

G-Z My other account is a Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    Great... NOW we're going to have arguments over DEFCON 5 being the LOWEST threat level...

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My bad.

instrumentalist likes this.
  3. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    Can anybody explain the logic behind the British Whitworth system? It has baffled me since I first started twisting wrenches in the '60s.

Last-Call-WW1.

All you need to do is memorize this chart and you'll be the envy of all engineers, gearheads, and knucklebusters (grease monkeys).

wrenches.

instrumentalist and G-Z like this.
  4. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    Well, no. You can buy a gram of weed (but what's the point) then it goes to a quarter, a half or an ounce (in Australia anyway)

5. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    I wouldn't. I like my turn signals buttons laid out left and right. Besides, most metrics are water cooled.

6. CONDITION BEIGE - CONDITION BEIGE
    Everyone evacuate to their normal duty positions immediately.

instrumentalist and G-Z like this.
  7. AHaze

AHaze

Feb 17, 2017
    Well, crap... shoulda looked that one up...

G-Z likes this.
  8. :roflmao:

9. In Australia there are four main football codes - Aussie Rules, Rugby League, Rugby Union and Soccer. They are all called football by their various followers. Just like you, the game I grew up with - Aussie Rules - is football in my world. It will always be.
    Your game is also played here on a smaller scale. I think most people here call it Gridiron.

G-Z likes this.
  10. I thought "SAE" meant "Stupid And Expendable"...

11. That makes sense, as Gridiron is short for Gridiron Football, the game played in USA and Canada.

In the States the term gridiron is widely used to define the field on which the game is played, but not normally the game itself. As in...football is played on "the gridiron". Not sure about Canadian colloquialisms. Cheers.

12. I don't disagree with you, this part of football/soccer is what drove me awa
    The funny thing is that as I grew up, I lost interest in football/soccer and became a big fan of (american) football and watch the games every Sunday night :D

We still refer it as american football and I dont expect it to change as its popularity in Europe though increasing is still miles (or kilometers? ) away from football/soccer.

My initial post just intended to show a different perspective: around here football/soccer is the universal sport and most kid aspire to becoming a football player. Football's superstars are incredible athletes who make close to QB money in salary to which you should add an absurd amount from various endorsements.

Oh and being French, we basically already blame the Brits for everything... So that's already covered :laugh:

MrWolf14 likes this.
  13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    As a bicyclist, I've had to deal with Whitworth -- it's the thread standard used on old 3-speed gear hubs. Fortunately, there are "close enough" SAE and metric wrenches, and replacement parts are still available. There are also some really weird standards, such as screw threads with metric diameters and imperial thread pitch, probably due to not wanting to set up a lathe for metric threading.

macmanlou likes this.
  14. MikeTranch

MikeTranch

Aug 30, 2016
    This reminds me of people who care about 440 versus some other tuning reference. To me it doesn't really matter as long as everyone in the band is properly tuned to the same reference. Unless it's SO much different than 440 that it changes the string tension enough to change the neck curvature, affecting action and intonation. Same thing with scale length, measure it in cubits if you want, but unless its way too short or way too long for me to play comfortably, what diff does it make?

15. garrett77

garrett77

Dec 12, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Most of my basses have a scale length just over half a rod. And two of my basses are just under half a rod. For anyone unsure, a rod is about 0.69 horse lengths.

16. Furutan

Furutan

Sep 5, 2018
    It wouldn't make any difference. The overall length could be completely random. The fret positions are laid out by math. Getting used to it is a non-issue.

17. The Name Football for the American game is a bit misleading, They play 2 hours and kick the ball about 4 times in the game. At least in Soccer (Football) they actually Kick it.

18. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    And at the end of 60 minutes you have a score of 1-0.
    How exciting.:D

19. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    90 minutes, + whatever random time the ref decides to add. But who's counting :laugh:

20. I love the Canadian indie rock band METRIC ... sure I'd play Josh Winstead's bass. :D