1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

XLNT SUPER CHEAP bass overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnk_10, Oct 28, 2013.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, the joyo's construction is actually very good and doesn't feel cheaply made at all. it uses the same blue 3PDT bypass switch as most other stompboxes and the jacks are also durable.

2. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj

May 4, 2013
    Yep, just ordered one of these on amazon. $33 shipped. If it's sweet I'll sell my $200 boutique od! If it stinks (which I'm assuming it doesn't!) I'll give it to my little cousin for Xmas lol!

I actually use the "joyo power supply 2" to power my pedalboard. Has everything I could need (7 regular 9v ports, 1 500ma 9v port, 1 12v port and 1 18v port! What more could you need!) and it was only $66 shipped, I've had it for months and I love it! Hoping this od works out too!

3. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    John, any idea how this would compare to a Fuzzrocious OSD?

4. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    I'd like to know this as well..

5. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    I have no idea since I've never played thru one or have seen the circuit that he's using.

6. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Probably similar, but with more bass (I haven't played the Joyo, but I use a Fuzzrocious Demon and have played OCDs). The Fuzzrocious Demon is very similar to the OCD with a bit more gain and better retention of tone, but there is still some bass cut.

7. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Cool thanks. For $35 or whatever, it's probably worth trying.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If that distortion cuts the band mix it will be a game changer, I personally find 99% of bass fuzz/od gets lost in the mix. That is Behringer cheap but it sounds good. I am really looking forward to hearing peoples reviews after band practice.

9. Syxz_ML

Syxz_ML

Apr 10, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Defintely willing to try this now. I have the Joyo Voodoo Octave Fuzz and although its OK but maybe not quite the Fuzz sound for me I do agree that their build quality for such cheap pedals is pretty good.

10. Just chiming in with the praise. I've had the Ultimate Drive for a while and like it a whole lot for bass (and guitar)...I just really disliked the demon-image...

So here it is now:

14252649fj.

ryan morris likes this.
  11. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Yeah, I was actually wondering what made them choose a demon...hmmm...

12. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    looks good. I don't care for the pedal's graphics either. I just may have to do that to mine. ;)

13. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Heck, at this price you can include a DanDubblewe etching and still come out pretty good.

14. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    I'm getting one eventually just from the sound clips.. that price is awesome.

15. Just bought one. That sounds sick. $33 on Newegg w/ free overseas shipping, in case anyone else wants to go there.

johnk_10... What's your recording setup?

16. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it's a '59 RI p bass thru a Yamaha BBT500H into my 2x15 3015 cab, recorded with a Zoom H4n about 6" in front of the cab.

17. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    That sound clip you recorded was amazing...holy crap.

Have you used it in a band context?

18. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I'm totally sold now. I've always LOVED my OCD v4 and I would like a second one for my second board and now I'm thinking I'll just grab one of these. I'd like to see how many more people pick one of these up after JohnK's "endorsement" of it. I know I will hehe

19. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    Hopefully I'm not stepping on your toes here John, but I also did a comparison of the OCD (v4) and the Ultimate Drive a ways back, for comparison. Using a Dimarzio Model P loaded MIM Precision, tuned to BEAD.

I bought one, bought an OCD to compare them, ended up giving away the Ultimate Drive to someone else who wanted to try it...and bought it again lol. I liked the OCD better on guitar, but once the Ultimate Drive was gone I missed it for bass lol. It's different enough to justify having both, I think, for different uses. I concur that it has less low cut and more gain on tap than the OCD. I still like using the OCD with a Jazz type bass (Carvin SB4000 in my case) for a specific kind of high gain tone, where I don't mind a little low cut, but the Ultimate Drive has a some great BEEF to it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
    ryan morris likes this.
  20. I've had one of these for about 6 months now, its done more than I ever could've asked from a $40 pedal. I've found it to be very useable in a band setting, cuts through way better than my muff or digitech bd. I recommend it to anyone who asks.