1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

XLNT SUPER CHEAP bass overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnk_10, Oct 28, 2013.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Aw, I want a Harley Benton, not a Joyo!

:D

2. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I'm on the fence on this one, is it really that good...?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ug, John's tastes in gear are pretty right on to the descriptions he gives.

4. Yeah, I picked mine up a few months ago, and was pleasantly surprised considering I've built a couple OCDs and have been unimpressed (like John). Great breakup and growl, with lots of range. I pulled out the Ge diode as per OCDv3 specs, but I couldn't hear any difference. I'm not sure what makes it any different from other OCDs, but it's great for the money. I've tried it at 18v, and I think it even sounds better...and it didn't blow up :). Try at your own risk...of course.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Welp, I done did it.

6. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I bought one of these the other day and am really impressed! Sounds great and for the price it can't be beat! I'm using it after my Boss ODB-3 and when they're both engaged it creates a snarling, mid ranged monster.
    Thanks for the head's up!

7. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    How are the components in this thing.....are they cheap ??

8. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    You guys are givin me GAS hard for this pedal. I actually almost bought one a while back because I had traded my OCD for something and wanted to replace it but ended up just getting another OCD. I mean, for roughly $35 brand new it's hard to beat. And from what some of you are saying, mainly john K, this pedal outshines the OCD in a way or two. I'll probably grab one in a couple weeks when the money is there.

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, no. they're not the highest quality that money can buy, but i think that they are very good.

the electrical components (chip, transistors, caps, resistors) are the same as any other brand pedal and they're not SMD. and the jacks, pots and switches are fine. the enclosure is aluminum. i mean, for $33 what more could you ask for?

10. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    I had one of these and i liked it just didnt care for the devil image, has a lot better low end than a fuzzrocious demon & to my ears wasn't as compressed but it is ( darker ) than the demon all in all for the money it's a good pedal and i didn't have any noise issues with it either powering it with a one spot along with 5 other pedals

11. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm thinking of sanding the graphics off the pedal.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Didn't like the "devil" graphics but bought a Fuzzrocious Demon...LOL! I know I shouldn't laugh, but the irony had to be pointed out ;)

Me, I'm keeping the graphics as they are. It's only a drawing...not like I'm endorsing Satanism or anything ;)

13. Sir Sly Ry

Sir Sly Ry

May 21, 2013
    I mean, they're a Chinese company, right? Isn't that graphic based off of Chinese mythology? I'm guessing it has nothing to do with the judeo-christian concept of "devils" or demons.

14. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Joyo vs Oh see Demon?? your thoughts??

15. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    Yeah i had the demon rehoused and etched :D and joyo vs osd
    More lowend on the joyo and less compressed, demon is brighter and mine had the gate/boost which is nice the demon seemed a tad smoother in it's breakup as well
    Both are good :confused:

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Never tried either, and I'm slated to get the Joyo on Friday.

17. I'm gonna have to try one of these...

18. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Because Fuzzrocious did: Oh See Demon... an OCD clone.

I am quite the fan of the Joyo Ultimate Drive. Dirt cheap and badass!

19. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    I didn't care for the graphics on the joyo (IMO black and red is so passe') so I used some stripper and stripped it, then relableled it and installed black knobs. it didn't require any sanding since it was pretty smooth under the paint.

I didn't even realize its graphic was a devil at first, and that really wasn't what bothered me. to me, it was just the funky looking paint job.

UD-02.

20. I'm confused... Why do you use a bass OD if not for devil music? :ninja: :p