1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

XLNT SUPER CHEAP bass overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnk_10, Oct 28, 2013.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    thanks for posting that clip. it confirms what I found too, i.e., the joyo UD is generally darker and has more gain than an OCD V4.

2. I picked one up on CL for $25 last year, and it's become my almost always-on pedal. I plan on picking up another one as a backup.

I was really surprised at how well it emulated the tube amp dynamics.

3. I must confess that I only used mine as a full-on mayhem-pedal after a Darkglass B7K so far...the effect was...rather elevating :)

4. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    So I snagged one to check out and... How can this be considered true bypass if I have a significant signal increase just by adding it to my chain??? I'm looking at 5db difference just by plugging it in, then unity level with the effect turned on is about 3 o'clock on the Level.... something a bit "off" about this... anyone else getting this? Did I possibly get a lemon?

5. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it's NOT true bypass. the way that you can tell on any pedal is to unplug the power supply when the effect is turned off. if the signal disappears then it's not true bypass.

it could easily be modded to true bypass though.

6. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    The description on Amazon advertises it as true bypass... I'll have to see how it interacts with other pedals on a board. I've never had a pedal throw such a drastic difference in the works for a bypassed state. 5db is pretty drastic, it seems like it could get noisy with some bleed too.

I'll likely take it apart tomorrow and see what it would take to mod it. I would assume it's a board mounted DPDT...

7. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IIRC it's not a board mounted 3PDT. I believe that the earlier ones were true bypass and most of the other Joyo's are TB, so Amazon probably just made an error mentioning it.

when bypassed, mine doesn't boost or change the tone of the output at all so I don't think that it's even buffered. I think that it's some version of a millennium bypass but a true millennium bypass doesn't require any power to run.

8. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    Mine is a board mounted 3pdt... Maybe something got mucked up with it, but it's not really worth it to me to bother putting in a new switch. 2 day shipping and easy amazon return policy, so I'll just roll the dice with an exchange since you said yours doesn't have this issue...

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Great tone

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  10. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    well, with that 3PDT it would be pretty easy to convert it to true bypass if you wanted to.

11. Sir Sly Ry

Sir Sly Ry

May 21, 2013
    While I'm still considering this thing as a possibility, I also have the Darkglass B3K on my mind, even though it's like 100x the price. I wonder hey they would compare, head to head.

12. I got mine today, spent about 30 minutes with it, and it's awesome. Played my G&L SB-2 -> Orange TB500 -> Ampeg SVT210. Didn't crank it, but good volume. I've settled on gain and level at 12:00, and tone at 1:00ish... Switch on high.

Stoked to try it w/ my big rig once it gets out of storage.

13. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Wow man, thanks for the clips!

I think I'm going to order one and try it out next to my Fuzzrocious OSD. I love my OSD, but sometimes it gets that real metallic sounding high end that for some songs just doesn't sound good. I think the Joyo being a bit darker might help with that.

14. Here's my super fun clip! Direct into my TonePort... No amp or cab in PodFarm. G&L SB-2. Ultimate Drive at 1:00 Gain, 12:00 Level, and 2:00 Tone. Switch to Low. Love this thing.

15. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj

May 4, 2013
    Just received mine yesterday via amazon (paid $33)

Haven't stacked it with anything else yet, but on its own it sounds absolutely fantastic! Can't wait to really explore it

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I may have to snag this pedal early. I'm using my modded British pedal while your Greedtone pedal is getting its Jim-afflicted broken wiring fixed, and while I like it by itself, it softens up my TAFM too much.

17. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Man, that's a butt-kickin' tone!

18. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj

May 4, 2013
    This thing is rad. Stacks great with a lot of my other pedals

With the tone turned down, put right after my octaver it gets a cool synthy sound.
    With the tone turned up, put before my chorus and delay it gets a nice lead tone.

Great buy. Awesome value!

19. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    I had to sell my fuzzrocious demon king, but I think I might try to get this guy. Much smaller, but I like the responses. I've had joyo pedals before and they seemed well built and sounded fine.

20. Camaro

Camaro

Sep 25, 2013
    Germany, NRW
    Apparently, Thomann sells this OD under its 'Harley Benton' label here in Europe.