1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bassist confessional.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    Uh, no, definitely not me. 5'5" tops. Short, muscular (170 lbs.), bald, beard. The only six pack is in my belly, not the belly itself; not obese but not chiseled either. IQ? Above average (124-126 can't remember exactly) but not genius.

Eclectic taste in music. Extroverted introvert. Have a slight reputation for not getting along with guitarists. I can be the moderator or right in the thick of the fight.

2. Sounds like me in all details but being bald and not getting along with guitarists.

3. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I am weird, people are constantly telling me that I look bored up there, I think my guitar player is an idiot, I become infuriated every time I hear about a good bass gig going to a guitar player.

4. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog

Feb 25, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I could use to lose 25 lbs.

Usually by the third set I'm thinking about where we'll be stopping to eat on the way home instead about what we're playing. (See above)

My forehead is growing so I wear a hat.

Goatee. That'll be coming off momentarily.

TalkBass has made me a gear snob/tone freak.

There's some songs I've played 500 times and never once have I listened to the words.

There's some songs I've heard thousands of times and never once have I listened to the words.

I never really thought about how much I was the stereotypical bass player until I read this damned thread. :bawl:

And lastly, I can't believe nobody admits to doing the "Cockroach Stomp" while playing. :smug:

5. Tallest one in the band (6'3), not the heaviest but pretty close. Starting to grow the goatee. Don't know the lyrics to half of the music I listen to because I'm listening to the bass. Usually the mediator. I know more about guitars than our 2 guitarists. Always help our drummer set up because I know where the pieces go. I'm not sure if this is one but I'm usually the first one set up. Spend a fair amount of time trying to get my tone to sound right. Only thing I'm missing is the hat :p

6. steve21

steve21 Inactive

Fat glasses goatee. FTW.

And a lot of others too.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Sounds like you might be the only honest one in the bunch. :D

8. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    *Goatee

*wear my bass high in a metal band

*Making "groovy" moves (or just my head) during heavy metal songs

*TB is making me a tone freak more and more,day by day...

*and BASSSSSSFACEEEEE of course!!!:bassist:

9. skywalkerla5

skywalkerla5

Jun 11, 2006
    is it weird then that I know very little theory? I mean i don't know **** for theory and frankly I want to learn. I don't only play root notes though, I just play what sounds right in that key (if that makes any sense).

10. I definantly do the 'bass face'..hmm...

i critique my band members alot...and am not afraid to say 'dude that solo sucked ass' if it's true.

I'm always the only one who seems to be the one who knows whats going on..i think most bassists do too.

I perk my left leg up on my right leg below the knee whe standing up.....so I think im unique in that way

i shouldn't head bang cause i play bass...but..i got the long hair so it works out.

11. blister-fingers

blister-fingers

Jun 16, 2007
    Scotland
    im guilty of a few. i stomp my feet, wear hats, nod my head and i dont get along with guitarists. or other bassists for that matter...

12. I'm very thin, weird and a bit high strung - yes I know, I should be playing guitar not bass

However I do have a strong dislike for most of the (very egotistical) singers I've worked with and I have an eternal hatred for cranked Marshall stacks at rehersals.

13. fourstringin

fourstringin

Jun 6, 2005
    Wow i never really even thought there were stereotypes for bassists untill i read through this. I am most of those. Im not overweight but i talk music theory and know more how to set "sound" than anyone else in the band. Wether it be my guitarists amps or the sound board. I even have photos of me in stupid hats... GEZZZ

14. I bite my lips a lot when i play difficult parts, when i´m playing a tight groove with the drummer i tend to move around and do dancing-like moves that in the heat of the moment make me think i ROCK but really are extremely FOOLISH. One time i showed up at a gig wearing camo pants, black boots and a black t-shirt like i´m the baddest m#$%&#"er in town and my stilish dressed bandmates look at me from head to toe (because we were playing in a hip an´happening venue, according to them) thinking something like: What´s wrong with this guy!!!???. Hahaha, everybody else has to put up with our Bass Player Freakiness because without us there is NO band.

P.D. I have had my goatee for such a long time, that i forgot to mention it, and no, there is no shame in helping out drummers with their stuff.

15. I really enjoy playing bass and the role of the bass, enough so that I don't get bored performing the bassist's job. But if I could have a choice, I'd be a better guitarist than bassist.

16. Oh, and like most bassists I know, I think most drummers are twats.

17. blister-fingers

blister-fingers

Jun 16, 2007
    Scotland
    oh yeh i forgot i think my drummers a snugglemuffin, i kinda danceand walk around when im playing sumit new, and i bute my lip when playing. im too young for a goatee and im quite thin, and i explain music theory with the clueless...

18. jazzin-j

jazzin-j

Jul 13, 2007
    hey im new, and i think this thread rules

Love of stupid hats? i once had a cadillac cap that i wore for three years straight didnt leave home without it until the band bought me a new one lol :p
    Tubby? well kinda more of a beer belly
    Goatee? horrible beard until i get some razors
    Discuss music theory with people who don't understand? i know most theory in the band some i rub it in
    Know enough guitar to be able to ask a guitarist to play a chord somewhere else on the neck, thereby pissing him off? doesnt every bass player... seriously i love the feel i get from that

I always grab something of the guitar players to carry, usually his pedal case. always dont ask why i just do probably coz its got buttons in it

I like to help everyone with their mike stands, sumtimes

19. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I have a couple of guitar player friends who ask me what "this" chord is, and I look at it and tell them. I also offer some alternate fingerings that would sound good, if they could only make their fingers stretch the way most bass players can. I love doing that one... :) Also am about 25 Lbs overweight (but I'm married, over 30, and have kids, so who doesn't?). I don't wear hats except when camping or some weekends, and don't grow facial hair.

But I do know the most theory in our band by far, and saw a lot of similarities in personality with the bass player from Spinal Tap!

20. big car
    beard
    love food
    in social gatherings, im the quiet one
    rhythmsection forever/ like blending with the wallpaper
    cant seem to move meaningfully to music unless im holding a bass...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021