1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Larchi

Larchi

Jul 1, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    Yeah sure, I know the right pickups to get. I have essentially a NT 6-string Warwick Thumbbass copy - but shaped like the Dolphin model. Made from Bubinga/Wenge/Ebony. My pickups are in nearly the same position as an NG2. I currently have Seymour Duncan Basslines and Preamp - but one or both of these have started turning to mush - low volume in the mids and treble. - G and C strings half as quiet as the B, E, A and D. [yes i tried raising the pickups on that side :rollno: - and fresh battery] It's Active, but it's only half as loud as my passive Ibanez Musician?
    Bass.JPG
    Anyway, I really want exactly the same sound as my bass unplugged (just a little more bassy). I played an NG2 in a store and WooHoo!!! that neck pickup I believe, is what my bass sounds like acoustically. I spose I'm wondering how the pickup is gonna sound in my bass - I very much like the neck pickup on an NG2 and my neck pickup is in nearly exactly the same spot.
    It might be a big ask but:
    Does anyone have a Bubinga/wenge Dingwall they could give me a demo of, on the Neck/middle pickup?
    It's gonna be a fair outlay for me, nearly $1000aud for 2 Dingers and a John East preamp, so any help would be cool.

NaH likes this.
  2. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I have a bubinga neck and wenge fretboard AB2, but pickup positioning isn't the same. Would this still help?

3. Larchi

Larchi

Jul 1, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    Yeah awesome! That would be a real help, all I can compare to is vids on youtube of ABZ's and NG2s, with alder, and ash bodies - It is a good sign, that so many Dingwalls use the FD3's as their standard pickups.

If you could give me a demo of the front pickup, Flat, Passive with some Pick and Slap that would be fantastic!!!
    As I understand it, the front pickup on an Afterburner is a little more "P bass like" than an NG2?

- You can understand I probably won't find any "Thumb-bass with FD3" videos on YT lol
    But here is a Thumb-bass on front pickup, slapped.

How much do think FD3's would change this sound?

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    This one is passive, tone wide open. For a couple other tracks I engaged the pre (Glock 2 band) with a little low and high boost.

Larchi likes this.
  5. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Nice John. Now you have me thinking. Hmmm....

6. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    "Chirp..." Chirp..." A little quiet here.
    I found some Dingwall love in the latest Bass Player magazine. It's an article about Lisa Dodd from Canada. I'm sure @Sheldon D. knows her.
    20181103_174549.jpg

7. TonyRo

TonyRo Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    I am joining the club here fairly shortly. :roflmao::woot:drool

AB Nate, Holdsg, NOLA Bass and 4 others like this.
  8. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    S/E Idaho
    What you gettin?

Tony Rotella likes this.
  9. TonyRo

TonyRo Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    I bought Matt's SJ3X that was in the Classifieds.

Lowendtech, djaxup, AB Nate and 6 others like this.
  10. spiritbass

spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    That's jumping in with both feet! :D Totally sweet bass - I understand why he was "on the fence" about selling. Congratulations and a warm welcome!

Tony Rotella likes this.
  11. TonyRo

TonyRo Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    True! I really wanted a J or P, as I'm not totally in love with the Combustion body shape. I also wanted the 3X pickups, so my choices were limited. Can't wait!

spiritbass likes this.
  12. nismaniac

nismaniac

Feb 21, 2005
    OKC, OK
    Just wanted to jump back in to say hi and tell you all something you already know, these basses are AMAZING!!! I'm continually impressed every time I play this bass, it's been three months of bass bliss! Cheers and hope everyone has a great weekend!

image.jpeg

13. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I can't slap to save my life, but I'll give it my best shot. Buried the next couple days but I'll get you something however rough.

Larchi likes this.
  14. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I wonder why @Sheldon D. stopped doing mandolin frets except on the Sklars? I'm guessing they wear out too quick? I have a 4-string Super PJ w/mandolin frets that I love. I know they are out there on Z's of the past, but anyone seen an AB2 with mandolin frets?

15. Larchi

Larchi

Jul 1, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    Hey, thanks a lot mate - when you have time is fine for me. Cheers! :thumbsup:

16. No slap or picks, but this is my Bubinga/wenge ABHS in all pickup modes. Parallel setting first, then series. Three pickups, starting on neck. P-bass-ish, but not exactly. I'm thinking of installing a P-tone pickup in there.

Dingwall Owners Club

Also:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Larchi likes this.
  17. Larchi

Larchi

Jul 1, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    Hey thanks for that, it seems like i'm worrying about nothing - That is pretty much what my bass sounds like. My bass is gonna sound like a Thumb bass with Dingwall pickups in it :laugh:!
    Other questions:
    What is actually under the cover of these pickups?
    And how are they individually setup if you just hook them up - in terms of Serial/Parallel etc?
    For example: I like the neck pickup on the NG2 - how is that solo pickup wired?

18. spiritbass

spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Under the pickups shells are two neodymium magnet pickups arranged in a "reverse-P" configuration. I purchased my 2016 NG-2 used. When I opened up the control cavity, the pickups were wired in parallel with themselves. It is very easy to change the wiring to series if you like (I do). When I play mine, I'm soloing the neck pickup.

19. Larchi

Larchi

Jul 1, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    Ok, so on an NG2, the 2 pickups are setup individually in Parallel, and the Pickup knob is just switching between Bridge solo/Bridge and neck Parallel/Bridge and neck Series/Neck solo...Have I got that right?
    Hmmmm, I wonder how my Seymour Duncans are set...

20. spiritbass

spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    That is the way mine was set up when I got my fingers on it...