Do you hang your basses up on your wall?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soong, Sep 4, 2021.

1. BargeOn

BargeOn Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    CNY
  2. TJL

TJL

Oct 22, 2013
    Never. Especially outside walls. Walls act as a heat sink and when an outside wall is exposed to the sun, it heats up and pulls moisture from anything in its proximity. I have had to repair hundreds of guitars that dried up and cracked, collapsed, or developed major fret sprout from being hung on a wall. Even an inside wall can cause the instrument to dry out due to the fact that heat rises. Guitars are hung high on the wall, and the general heating of a home creates dry warm air to concentrate higher in the room towards the ceiling. Lack of moisture is your guitar's worst enemy.
    Aside from that, the last time I had a guitar exposed on a wall, a CD rack fell over during an earthquake in the middle of the night, and crushed on the back of my $7K Brazilian Rosewood Collings. Never again. Guitars should be in cases unless in use.

3. TJL

TJL

Oct 22, 2013
    "Right. There's no air in gigbags. I still have my late wife's Yamaha acoustic that spent 30y of it's life on a stand by a large glass door where with the right wind direction could get salt spray directly from the ocean. Then there's all those old Strads. Must be no good."

Uh, I think the operative word here is "ocean". Sure, if you live on the shore, your humidity probably never dips below 80 percent. That is why your old lady's Yamaha has not self destructed. Try leaving it out on a stand with the door open in the outback, and see how long it takes for that instrument to turn into firewood.

4. I do hang mine on the wall. However, because they are 7 string basses, nobody makes a guitar hanger they will fit in. So, I use weed-eater hangers from the hardware store. They have a textured rubber "Herculiner" coating on them that doesn't seem to hurt my basses or their finishes. I also have a sideways hanger that holds one of my basses (Monoprice Wall Mount for Electric Guitar - Horizontal - Monoprice.com)

5. Doug P

Doug P

Nov 26, 2008
    I as well, in the case or on a floor rack. My walls are not for displaying guitars.

6. FenderBass71

FenderBass71

Jul 9, 2017
    Yup. I have for years. I sometimes worry it's not good for them but I like to mess with all of them and I don't have the room to keep them in cases.

Attached Files:

7. Wall hangers are one step away from a fedora hook and Joe Bonamassa poster.

Bengal1 likes this.
  8. Jeremy Crockett

Jeremy Crockett Supporting Member

Owing to space issues, I (for the first time) hung two axes on my wall. I must confess that it skeeves the living daylights out of me.

I used zinc heavy-duty drywall anchors, they have not pulled away, or done anything remotely wonky, and it STILL skeeves the living daylights out of me.

I am in the process of "thinning the herd" and when I sell one more guitar, I will not need to hang any more instruments. Nor shall I EVER do it again, because it skeeves the living daylights out of me.

9. jimbei

jimbei

Jan 30, 2012
    I hang mine - frees up floor space 20210529_193700.jpg

10. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    DO NOT mount them on the drywall.

ALWAYS mount them on a stud (or on a backing board that's mounted to studs).

Jeremy Crockett likes this.
  11. Jeremy Crockett

Jeremy Crockett Supporting Member

Well... Looks like I will be un-hanging the last one sooner than I anticipated.

I appreciate the heads-up.

12. Meh drywall hangers work very well and hold way heavier and much more valuable things than basses every single day.

This website fetishesizes a piece of wood with some metal attached to it entirely too much sometimes

TerribleTim68 and ShawnG like this.
  13. bassrebel

bassrebel

Mar 7, 2005
    Bristol, CT
    absolutely NO holes to the drywall or studs or anything...

IMG_6665.JPG

I used adapters on both ends of the 2x4's to push up/down creating friction...

It's been installed for over two months now with no problems... but just in case, I put the amp there to push the 2x4's on to the wall for extra protection

kho, TerribleTim68, rwkeating and 4 others like this.
  14. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Not in my house they don't.

No fetish here, just a recognition of the way that "the bare minimum" can often turn into "not sufficient when it really counts".

Do what you want with your stuff, but it's just foolishness to not take the little bit of extra care and attention to detail to ensure that accidents don't happen.

15. Bengal1

Bengal1

Apr 1, 2019
    Reno, NV
    You guys have some great displays for hanging your basses. I see only one issue.. If I hang my gear on the wall then at any time my wife could enter and question why I have all of these.. :bassist::laugh::laugh:

ctmullins, FenderBass71 and bassrebel like this.
  16. Your conflating things. Drywall hangers are specifically engineered to hang on drywall. No bare minimum there at all. You don't like it and that's cool, hell mine are on pieces of stained wood and that wood is screwed to studs, but just because you think something is correct doesn't make it so.

17. I've always been a stand or case guy and go to the Hard Rock Cafe for all of my wall mount eye gazing...

18. DECEMBER

DECEMBER

Jul 14, 2021
    20210908_121714.jpg 20210908_121817.jpg 20210908_121838.jpg

StevieMac likes this.
  19. Bilvis

Bilvis

Jun 25, 2017
    Ft. Myers ,Fla.
    Here is mine. In the dining room even! My wife is cool like that! D1D63C5E-C58B-4BDB-AA8D-EBBAD6D8CE07.jpeg

Attached Files:

DrThumpenstein, kho, wncBass and 5 others like this.
  20. Mika Pyhajarvi

Mika Pyhajarvi

May 29, 2017
    AE12CE86-F7DB-4F5F-A8CA-51CC46D9C2C5.jpeg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021