1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    If the control plate on the JB-4 is the same size as on Fender J-bass, the an Audere or John East preamp would be a drop-in and easy mod.

2. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Welp- sadly- not ‘fitting’ my hands (neck profile a bit too thick) & not excited with the tone... gonna return :(. My black & white P-basses have J necks (Geddy Lee & Amer. Spec., respectively, which are ‘thin’ & ‘slim’). Really wanted to like this bass...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  3. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    I’m not a fan of audere preamps but thinking about the east preamp but never tried one. I only have experience with aguilar’s obp preamps.

Soundchaser11460 likes this.
  4. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Well that’s too bad! In your photo it looked like the SB had the typical 1.5” J-width nut, so I guess it’s the through-neck profile that’s not working for you. I also like a J-neck on a P-bass and find my SB very nice under the hand. On another front, you may find (like I did, and others have) that rolling the volume back by 20-30% reduces the signature MFD pickup sound in favour of a more classic P-tone. Then feathering in that bridge pickup is magic.

5. John East pre for me. I love mine.

bassman74 likes this.
  6. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    Which preamp model do you have?

7. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I’ve got 4 Audere preamps in various basses. Their Pro-JZ drop-in J-bass plate preamps are really wonderful: uncoloured and hugely flexible in the tones you can produce.

Pro JZx Series Type

Skillet likes this.
  8. IMO, the East definitely has some color to it. Glassy highs, mid scoop. Nice bottom, but ultimately, I didn't like how it scooped the mids out and made the top shiny, even with all set flat. In a Jazz bass, it was pretty much "active jazz" all the time. On the other hand, I had an East ACG EQ-01 (I think that's the model) filter preamp that was really great in every way. I liked it so much, I put it into a box and used it with all kinds of basses. I sometimes wish I still had it as it was a great studio EQ tool. I currently have an East MM-style 2-band with a Nordstrand MM4.2 pickup, and I really love how that works with that pickup in that bass. Very much old-school MusicMan. Go figure.

I had an Audere in a Jazz bass and felt that it really flattened out the tone in a bland way. The best way to describe it is as if it was 2-dimensional, whereas pure passive was 3-dimensional in that bass. I'm not really a fan of the Aguilar pres, either. Not sure how to describe them, but I've never cared for any of them that I've used. Definitely an aggressive tone, and a bit brittle sounding in the high end, to my ears.

bassman74 likes this.
  9. I have the DJ retro pre.

bassman74 likes this.
  10. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Yes- the neck profile is probably just 1/8” thicker than the Amer. Spec. J I have- but my hand definitely feels it... but I had a thought- last nite. I asked a young man, who has begun playing bass at my church & has been playing a Squier J (a fine bass in its own right) for the past year, if he is interested... he is- so I told him I’d take some $ off of what I paid- he’ll have a nice upgrade for a nice price! Taking it to church, today, let him test ‘er. :bassist:

pjbassist likes this.
  11. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I had great success for years with a Moon Blackbird preamp dropped into a '72 jazz bass. I actually owned several of them and they were all terrific - the most transparent and energy-efficient preamps I've owned. I no longer have the bass, but I kept the preamp. Feel free to PM me if you have any interest in learning more about it.

12. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    I have a Nordstrand pre in a Regenerate (modern take on a '55 Pbass). I love it. Adds something nice to the tone when engaged, but doesn't seem to color to sound of the instrument, if that makes any sense.

bassman74 likes this.
  13. ....aaaaaand here come the tort suggestions.

14. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    B38A5DDA-561F-4865-8FE2-794330621713.

15. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    “Not from me!”, he retorted.

JES, mikeyvr6, bass10bfb and 2 others like this.
  16. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Where's a good, "This is your bass. This is you bass on tort" graphic when you need it!

TDR1138 likes this.
  17. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

This says it well enough.

tort
    n. from French for "wrong," a civil wrong or wrongful act, whether intentional or accidental, from which injury occurs to another. Torts include all negligence cases as well as intentional wrongs which result in harm. Therefore tort law is one of the major areas of law (along with contract, real property and criminal law) and results in more civil litigation than any other category. Some intentional torts may also be crimes, such as assault, battery, wrongful death, fraud, conversion (a euphemism for theft) and trespass on property and form the basis for a lawsuit for damages by the injured party. Defamation, including intentionally telling harmful untruths about another-either by print or broadcast (libel) or orally (slander)-is a tort and used to be a crime as well.

See also: battery conversion damages defamation fraud libel negligence slander trespass wrongful death assault

18. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Hard to find a pickguard for an L2000 so I had one made.
    5-B14578-C-2-E93-48-A8-95-B7-95-DF39-DBD90-A.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  19. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    And matching knobs and inlays (stickers?), too! :thumbsup:

Interesting idea putting a mute on an L, too. I never tried it but it could work well with one group I play with. Might have to give it a shot.

20. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Anyone notice the new L1500 recently posted on G&Ls instagram page?