1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How many basses do you own? (Currently) Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 23, 2013.

1. 1

668 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. 2

1,110 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. 3

1,122 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. 4

913 vote(s)
    14.0%
  5. 5 to 9

1,875 vote(s)
    28.8%
  6. 10 to 20

602 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. 21 +

166 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. Too many to count

52 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    That collection makes me green with envy. So much envy I could almost burst.

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    two
    94 LB100
    84 L2000
    but if I ever get a job again Jimmy Coppolo and I are going to build a 4 string active jazz so i can explore new sonic horizons

armybass likes this.
  3. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    Well... Up my previous score by 1 cause...
    IT'S NBD!
    Found a EB-0 on Ebay by accident and since the EB-3 was feeling left out as the only Epi I did what any responsible dad would do and got a lil sister on the way.
    eb0.PNG
    Also comes with the cruddy practice amp, bag, tuner , and gasp a song book!
    For 83.00 I gotta say yeah even if the electrics are crapped up its worth it. Gotta see what the finish looks like before I decide if she stays as is or becomes my next mod project.

Nunovsky, Jmozz60, armybass and 2 others like this.
  4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001

Ditto. I have 15 currently after a recent spree that resulted in a cavalcade of G&L’s being added to my harem of EBMM basses.

Currently 7 G&Ls, 7 EBMM and one lovely Fender AVRI 63 P Bass.

Also thankful for a loving, supportive and tolerant wife and best friend.

Jmozz60 and XrisThaBassman like this.
  5. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    Ditto. It's actually given us something to do together. My wife is on disability and really doesn't get out much due to her conditions and while I am content to simply play cards on Thursday night and Golf on Sundays I feel bad going and doing things while she is at home. Enter the basses... I,ll fire up Rocksmith, Go Play Along etc and stream to the TV in the family room and hook up the karaoke machine and ill play tunes, which I wanna do anyway, and she will have the lyrics up on the screen and she will sing. She brightens right up. Music.. the best medicine even if it's Bad Medicine. ;)

6. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Amen to that brother. I’ve been at home waiting on back surgery scheduled for 5/7 and basses and music are what’s help retain my sanity and keep me from depression for the past four months.

7. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Muckelroy!

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    2euqv6u.

Nunovsky, B-Mac and Doctor Intrepid like this.
  9. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    only thing i can say is; nice play them

10. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    Modulus FB4
    Modulus FB5
    Sterling by Musicman SUB Ray 5
    Yamaha BB414
    Fender Squire Vintage Modified Jazz fretless (but currently wearing a Mike Freeman signature P-bass fretted maple neck)
    Dean Edge 6 string fretless (Been sitting in a case for years)
    Ibanez Soundgear (SR400?)

11. Tom Baker

Tom Baker

Feb 3, 2016
    Dammit! I had to up my count from 4 to 6 as 2 new additions are coming on monday. I'll get back to 4 in a few months though. That's my limit.

12. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    "How many?"

I have an incredibly hard time selling them off once I get one that I really enjoy playing. I jam quite a few times a week with different projects and gig a few times a month with my main band so none of my basses have yet to become closet queens,

I keep almost all of them in steady rotation. "almost" because I have a single fretless, and a single 6 string just for the novelty of trying to get competent on them every so often. I'm a 4 string player and have always been.

There's a part of me that always wonders am I doing myself a disservice in switching up different basses all the time as each one has a slightly different feel / playability. I wonder if I spent all my time playing only 1 or possibly 2 of my favorite basses would that allow for my playing be more proficient (even if just slightly) as I assume I'd grow more and more comfortable on that single instrument's individual feel?

I also find that the difference between basses is WAY more prevalent when I'm standing and playing (with the bass on a strap around my neck) as opposed to sitting down while playing. The variations in each instruments shape and reach doesn't seem nearly as pronounced in that case.

Any input on whether continuously playing on / practicing with a single bass adds to a players proficiency?

13. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I am still under 10 and I think that would be enough in this lifetime.

14. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Had to change my vote.... I just finished building this one, she is #21 ...
    7lbdYgc.

15. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Nice, What's that Sandberg sound like? I noticed the giant pole pieces.

16. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

up to 39 now...added these within the last 2 weeks...

Dean 2008 PBEQA Performer Exotica Quilt Ash ABG
    IMG_2624. IMG_2630. IMG_2631.

Peavey 1983 T-45 IMG_2949. IMG_2951. IMG_2959.

Nunovsky likes this.
  17. XrisThaBassman

XrisThaBassman Gold Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Covington, WA
    As a hubby to a chronically ill wife who doesn't sweat my GAS, this hits me right in the feels. You're a righteous dude!

NetRngr likes this.
  18. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    The EB-0 arrived today. I was sweating it due to it being an eBay purchase, used, and being shipped by the current owner. Gotta say..just wow. the packing would have protected eggs and this thing looks brand new. In fact it looks so good that my plans to use it as a base for a mod have changed and she will stay exactly like she is and be the lil sister to the EB-3. Hell I even like the looks of the crappy little practice amp that came with it. Will it ever replace my Eden? No but it and the Squier amp will go out into the workshop to test and tune on the guitars I build in the shop as soon as I get everything straight out there.

Doctor Intrepid likes this.
  19. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Well, I'm back up to four. I played a five-string version of Nolly Getgood's signature Dingwall bass at a guitar show a couple of years ago and was intrigued. When I saw this four-string version pop up in the classifieds, I decided that it should live with me for a while:

iEQJDd3.

Nunovsky and Jamvan like this.
  20. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Still at four; sold the Squier VM Jazz fretless after buying a Cort Artisan B4FL here on TB. :)
    kuHm0V3.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Nunovsky, B-Mac and Doctor Intrepid like this.