1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How old were you when you had your first gig :D

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by heyitsamike, Aug 15, 2012.

1. heyitsamike

heyitsamike

Aug 9, 2011
    Easy question right :D. How old were you when you had your first real "gig" with a band.

My first one was at a small club. i was 15. needless to say i was nervous as hell. but hey i took my squier classic vibe 60s p bass and rocked hard :cool:

edit- fun fact our band name was "adolescent cheeseburger"

2. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA

And I felt like I was gettin a real late start. But glad I didnt let that stop me!

3. 18

4. pkstone

pkstone

Apr 13, 2011
    Sacramento
    51. It's never too late!

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Either 14 or 15. It was in the spring, which is when I have my birthday, so it was definitely one of those two. We played Funk 49, White Room, and (I think) Voodoo Child. I'm 22 now.

7. heyitsamike

heyitsamike

Aug 9, 2011
    would also love to hear stories about setlists and type of gear you guys used :D

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    14 or 15. A local music store had a monthly new band night at the New Daisy on Beale. We did 3 original songs.

9. i'll do better than that. this is the 1st song on my 1st gig.

10. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    I was 17 and there were 200 people crammed into a little hall. It was a skate park benefit. Still one of my favorite gigs to date. Nerves were in full effect but after the first 2 songs they settled down. Sort of ruined it for me for a while. I just expected 200 people to show up to all our gigs. :)

11. heyitsamike

heyitsamike

Aug 9, 2011
    nice! rock on:hyper:

12. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    25. Drummer for a punk band. Opening up for "Dirt Clod Fight" who were actually pretty good. Packed warehouse. Played on a my first kit, a beat up old awesome sounding Rogers. Fear spiked adrenaline rush. Played as though my life depended on it. Good times.

13. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I was probably 15 or 16... I was playing a pointy-head-stocked red Krammer P through a Crate B150 combo, the Fart Machine. We were an all-originals harcore band fronted by a straight edge-er. We were sort of modeled after Cleveland HC bands of the time like Face Value and Integrity. I can't quite recall the name of the joint, but it was a falafel and gyro place on the Ohio State campus, and we played with a band that was heavily influenced by the Butthole Surfers.

14. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    I had just started driving so I must have been about 17.

It was an 8th grade dance.

I was using a Gibson Ripper played through a Kustom amp - don't remember the model or the speaker configuration offhand.

Setlist was typical fare for those days. Hendrix, Zep, Stones, Skynyrd, Chicago, Tull.
    Specific songs I remember are Purple Haze, Hey Joe, Gimme Shelter, Jumping Jack Flash, Locomotive Breath, Color My World, Sunshine of Your Love

Don't remember much of the gig but after it I remember piling about a dozen people into my car - a 1966 Chrysler - and going out for burgers.

15. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    Pretty young... like 15 y'o i guess

16. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    17 was my first real (i.e., bar) gig.

Not sure how old I was the first time I actually got paid for one.

17. First show I was 10 in school Double bass, the first rock show I was 13 all original band in a bar down the street from my house where my Dad and Uncle hung out in. set list was all our stuff I had a Kay EBO copy I played through a black Kustom tucked gliter flake cabinet 1 *15 driven by a 100 PA system head that I can't remember the name right now but it is in a closet in my family room and I will get the name on here later it was a industrial public address system amp?

I got it Bogen 100 watt Solid State power amp

[​IMG]

18. iJazz

iJazz

Jan 9, 2012
    Sussex, WI
    As I recall, I was 16. Our group, The Mainstream Jazz Quintet provided (except for the contestants) the music for the city's Junior Miss Pageant. I think we got $20/man. That was 1969, so that wasn't too bad for a couple of hours of play time. At the time I was earning $1.75/hour in my summer job in the park system.

Gear? My Sunburst '67 Jazz and my Gretsch combo amp. The Sunn didn't come till later in the year.

iJazz - Metal hadn't yet been invented, but the blues had been. We were modern jazz, but we played some John Mayall just the same.

19. I played my first gig for money in 1974 - I was 16. I played my just-acquired '72 Jazz Bass (I still have it) through a borrowed tuck-and-roll Kustom 200 with 2- 15".

20. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    17 for me. And I was playing (gasp) guitar. A Les Paul Standard through a Marshall half stack. All borrowed gear :D