Stoner/Doom Bassists Thread, Part 90: Maxed Out

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Korladis, Apr 3, 2014.

1. lucas303

lucas303 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    If you're worried about someone flipping why don't you just sell it for what the flipper would get, or a price that's close enough to not make it worth their while? I don't understand complaining about flippers if you're going to sell to any ol' person for a bargain price. Don't like flippers? Price them out.

Novarocker and scabpicker like this.
  2. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    That's one way to look at it for sure. Really though both of those probably havent been on the market much if at all. I'd just just want my money out of em, some profit would be nice, but just even is cool. I know a lot would just flip for a reasonable price, but due to its rarity (doubt there's even been any up for sale) there'd be that one ******* that'd put it up for double price and essentially artificially inflate the running market for em.

Granted there's always the perceived value, what the market will bear, etc.

scabpicker likes this.
  3. I just want an Atreides... but like you, no way I'll be able to play it much. I'm also trying to sell stuff I don't use, but between using those funds for bills and other things, the cash is already spoken for. Also, love to see another DOD 240 in the wild! I've got a couple - great for simple utility stuff.

Novarocker likes this.
  4. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    For sure, the Atreides is one that I see writing songs for it specifically. I'm really starting to explore the ability of it to operate without the envelope, sub, and/or phaser. There's a lot of ability there to get different, wild but semi controlled sounds. Especially for just one stomp. Definitely going to be a freak out effect too. Need to try it with my synth.

It's actually the reason I'm trying to set up an insert point on my board so I can insert a pedal in the middle of the board for days and sets I want to use a specific pedal for. That time shadows is the same way. Sick sounds, but might not be used a ton.

Glad I picked up that 240. Makes the phrase "built like a tank" sound like child's play. Solid "rod" wire connections instead of braided or smaller wire. The only thing I could see wearing out is the switch, but with how old it is, I doubt even that will go.

I think the big thing for me with pedals that might not be used much or for specific sounds and projects, is that for the real unique or rare ones, I'd rather see them go to someone who'll really do the maker justice. Especially the Heather Brown and the Garglactic. Those two are meant to be played, not be collector pieces.

5. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Cute kids. I hope that mine will be as interested in music as I am.

Also how is the DiCosimo 360? I'm torn between ordering one, saving up for a Helix Stomp or buying the kit that the DiCosimo is based on and making it myself.

Novarocker and Artorious Rex like this.
  6. GriNn

GriNn

Dec 15, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    I feel this in my bones lol. I've been hanging onto some rarities that I hardly use myself, got a germanium Malekko B:assmaster I haven't been able to part with for years despite only using it for bass solos where I want to punch through lol - almost seems disrespectful :roflmao: . Also got an old FZ2, Bluebeard fuzz, and I just bought an Eau Claire Thunder Fuzz I really shouldn't have haha.

If you're anything like me you have way more dirt pedals than you could ever use on your board lol. So hard to thin the herd, they're all great in their own way ya know.

Novarocker and scabpicker like this.
  7. Regarding this, I'll say that I wouldn't have the gear I have if I wasn't lucky and found my head for an absolute steal on CL. I got a 300 watt tube head for $250 (no tubes). If that deal hadn't come up who knows how long I would've waited to maybe get a 100 watt all tube. It works great too, I wasn't cheated. Heck, I almost feel like I cheated! I basically have a forever rig at this point and if it weren't for that one generous dude on CL it probably would've been years before I'd have something similar. It's frickin awesome too, I'm having so much fun with it. I actually thought about texting him again just to say thanks but I didn't save his number. But moral of the story is selling things for cheaper may just really help someone. Not saying you should always feel morally obligated to or anything but if you do there's always that chance. But that goes for flippers too IMO though. Who knows? Maybe they really need the money they get from flipping.

Novarocker, scabpicker and lucas303 like this.
  8. now i have to teach myself how to play bass again to try this. i think this is the longest i've gone without picking up a bass since 2009 when we started the band.

20210617_123425.jpg

9. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    I know the feeling. Never seen that before, I'm a huge fan of dirt pedals with unconventional parameter knobs.

I agree, my for sure heirloom bass was basically given to me from a friend and I saved it. Never played another Jazz that feels as good. I'm a bit torn. For sure.

Thanks! I never pushed em, but whenever they're exploring I let em mess with everything to an extent and they just love making noise. The 360's solid, really well built. Haven't cracked it open, but feels like a rock. If you're good with an iron and don't want to spend the money go for the kit, but Dicosimo's work is great. I really dig the preamp, can't do dirty at all, but can easily push your amp harder into overdrive. DI works great, fuzz can go from woolly to splatty and fizzy. Real versatile EQ and brings out tons of clarity. I have it as a backup/amp top preamp if I need the clarity.

Yup, last I counted ~31 pedals. 14 or so are dirt or have a distortion circuit apart of them...yeah, but I agree I got some of them because they are unique or a staple and I'll use them for specific projects, etc. They all have such a diff flavor and I love using dirt or EQ for an effect on top of just having a base sound.

The HB one is an oddball case, I love the sound and would fully use it...but I can get really close to the sounds I love it for with pairs of dirt already in my rig. That's what's got me so hesitant...

Disrespectful is a good way to explain the feeling. I do almost feel that way for the Heather Brown and Garglactic. Others like the Time Shadows I don't, but I already use that one a bit, so maybe that's why IDK.

GriNn and ConfoundedBridg like this.
  10. br1qbat

br1qbat

Aug 22, 2017
    Marysville, MI
    Great pedal. Love mine. I got the same color/knob combo.

bassboysam likes this.

11. Finally gave it a try, very different from what i typically go for in terms of tone. I normally like a "tidy" overdrive that just adds some definition and tightens up the lows. The Behemoth is definitely more of a blown out sound with looser low end and more of a sputtering drive. The "waveform" control is pretty cool, makes it quite versatile in terms of EQ from very scooped to boxy mids. Curious to hear how it sounds in context with the band.

br1qbat likes this.
  12. GriNn

GriNn

Dec 15, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    31 is a hell of a collection! Would love to see a photo of them all together sometime haha. :D

Novarocker and instrumentalist like this.
  13. br1qbat

br1qbat

Aug 22, 2017
    Marysville, MI
    Yeah, kinda squirelly, but in a good way
    I dig that there's not a 'bad' setting to my ears.

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the [no longer made] Fender Sub-lime fuzz. I've heard some youtube demos from years ago and really like it. Anyone know if the circuit is based on an old design or ?

14. that's a great fuzz, the enclosure was dumb though, way too big

br1qbat likes this.
  15. HCF

HCF Of course, YMMV

Nov 30, 2008
    Amsterdam
    Question: I really fell in love with the sound of a hofner verythin in the shop yesterday, but using a hollow body in a stoner band doesn't seem like the best idea.

Anybody got any experience with (semi) hollow bodies in louder environments?

16. scabpicker

scabpicker Gold Supporting Member

I do! I used to play both a Tiesco Del Rey and a Univox hollow body guitar through a Super-Fuzz and a 100W Ampeg VT-22. That sound totally scorched, but you had to be fast with the pedal switch. Otherwise, microphonic feedback was imminent.

HCF likes this.
  17. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Never heard a clip of the sub-lime fuzz. Not sure if I've seen one. Was the enclosure like that phaser they did with the single massive recessed knob?

Thanks! I believe this is all of em, need to finish building my board so I can put em all together.
    20210618_213054.jpg

Bonsist, GriNn and bassboysam like this.
  18. I think I have about 60+ pedals total (including various doubles or triples). Four boards (2 each for guitar and bass), about 12ish pedals on each average, plus a few extra pedals in boxes. Still, wanting a few more. Atreides, maybe a FatMetal Pro (though I have no need for it as I love the FatMetal for guitar), another HM-2 variant or two, Aqua Puss...

I'm sick, I know.

Novarocker likes this.
  19. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Yeah I'm headed there for sure. There's been many times where I or someone I'm with starts digging through the shelves for a certain sound and it's been nice to be able to find it fairly quick because of all the pedals. A buddy I often record with is worse than either of us and has a ton of old amps to boot.

Speaking of HM-2, did you see that pre-orders have opened for the Waza? The quick clip I watched is semi convincing. I do really want one.

20. Saw that, but am actively trying to acquire less gear. I have 6 variants of the HM-2 right now, I think? This includes the Boss MIT version as well as others, so I don't NEED one. May pick one up later. As for finding tones quickly, that's exactly why I have a few pedals in boxes. I have a RAT clone I don't use, but when I need a RAT, I can find that tone quickly. And just some odd ones like a Gonkulator. Plus actual useful ones, like flangers and phasors that I don't currently use, but if I need that effect, it's cheaper to keep the one I've got than sell it and re-buy later. I like the effects, and they're not exactly ones I can find off the shelf these days (old DOD), so I'll hold on to them until I need them.

Novarocker and xJasonSmithx like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021