Anthony Jackson Health Status?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BobDeRosa, Sep 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mleconn

Mleconn

Oct 6, 2019
    I'm not sure. I heard it affected his speech. But that's just what I read I'm really not sure. ???

2. Mastodon2

Mastodon2

Feb 27, 2008
    The phrase "assisted living" means different things in different countries. To you it may mean living with carers, to others it means literally have your life sustained with the assistance of machines.

Fredrik E. Nilsen likes this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    We're in America, so use our definition, which I laid out a couple pages ago. Simple :D

foal30 likes this.
  4. Mastodon2

Mastodon2

Feb 27, 2008
    I'm trying to explain why there has been speculation and conjecture, which is hardly surprising given the media blackout from Jackson or his management.

Fredrik E. Nilsen likes this.
  5. You are in America, I'm not. Neither are the majority of bass players.

foal30 likes this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Google and Wikipedia are your friends:

Assisted living - Wikipedia

7. As I have said: I know that. Some people outside America knows that. Most of the people in the world does not live in America, and most of them don't know that. That's the reason a lot of people misunderstand.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Google and Wikipedia are their friends, too :D

9. Say that to the bass playing world outside America, not me. I know. They don't

10. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

JimmyM and Fredrik E. Nilsen like this.
  11. Yes, we know that. The majority of the bass playing world outside Talkbass doesn't. That's the reason a lot of people misunderstand, and rumours start spreading.

gebass6 likes this.
  12. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    It took me what, like 20 years?, to realize "just who is this Anthony Jackson cat?.

I was listening to Steely Dan, Steve Kahn, Al DiMeola, Dave Liebman, Patrice Rushen, Steps Ahead, etc.
    I eventually learned ( much later than I should have ) that AJ was the glue behind all of those 200+ tracks I loved. The guy who I always asked "who the heck is that bass player - man!".

Stanley ( and more since then ) got a lot more exposure, and I know they like that. And I like them.

But AJ? Priceless! In music and in life. A good place to be. If we could all do as well...

13. gebass6

If you haven't seen it already,check this out!

14. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    A little Mahavishnu'ish this is. Visions of the Emeralds Beyond is another favorite of mine.

Are there any excellent tracks that AJ had NOT been on? Now that's the question...

EDIT: I might be wrong, VOTEB was another favorite man of mine - Ralphy Armstrong! ( somehow I see, and maybe hear? AJ on that album. drugs have nothing to do with this :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    gebass6 likes this.
  15. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I'd love to see the score for that piece, just to see whether any of that lengthy solo bass intro was written. It has a lot of elements in common with the completely improvised solos I've heard Anthony do with Steve Khan and Hiromi, so it's very easy to assume it was improvised also...but it also seems to be the sort of thing that would be right in his wheelhouse, to read a through-composed piece for bass that went in that direction!

The Owl, Les Fret and gebass6 like this.
  16. For several years I'd been wondering what had become of Anthony, so I'm desperately sad to hear this.

Anthony - we've never met, but you feel like a lifelong friend. Thankyou for bringing me, and so many others, such joy with your wonderful musicianship.

The best bass player I've ever heard...

17. I find this point-scoring in a thread about the ill-health of a musical hero to be most unseemly.

Whatever the situation, I just want Anthony to be well and comfortable.

dfp likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Lighten up. We're all going to die one day. And Anthony's in assisted living, not strapped into an iron lung clinging to life by a thread.

Who doesn't?

gebass6 likes this.
  19. gebass6

The assisted living links are to show those that he is NOT in dire straights.
    Some have a mistaken assumption.

JimmyM likes this.
  20. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I think it is better to stop speculating and stop discussing about the words assisted living and wait for an official statement (of any will come). In the meanwhile we can enjoy AJ's amazing recordings.

hieronymous, mark beem and gebass6 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021