1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Damnation Audio Fan/Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Yeah - I’m not doubting the quality. I actually have one of JohnK’s builds. Im just talking about the $115+ price increase from when it last sold.

johnk_10 likes this.
  2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Ah yeah. Yowzzaa. That’s blah

johnk_10 likes this.
  3. Recently ordered a Luna Reclipse to fill the last "free" spot on my board. The MBD-1 really lays a foundation for me and is the always on pedal. I will have to experiment with the Reclipse in front and after the MBD-1. Currently the Bloop with a Han-Taun is in front. The design intent of the pedal is to re-clip an already clipped signal. Hence the name of the pedal. I might try putting it after the Han-Taun in the loop too. It's nice to have options!
    http://fuzzrociouspedals.com/product/lunareclipse/

4. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    I love mine. They pair nicely.

gregmon79 and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  5. Hydron

Hydron Supporting Member

May 11, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Received mine yesterday, I found exactly what I was looking for. Can't wait to try it full band.
    I will keep it for sure.

6. Hi, all. I have a question about the Boost Trim inside the MDB-1. Default is at 9 dB. If I turned it down to, say, 3, would that simply shift the entire gain range down for the Gain knob, or is something else going on in there tone-wise?

Thanks.

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IME, it only lowers the gain to the amount of drive/distortion. no tonal changes.

8. Thanks, John. So if I understand you correctly, if I keep the Gain knob at 12:00 with the boost trim at the default 9 dB, lowering the boost trim would just make me increase the gain to get to the exact same point as I had at 12:00?

gregmon79 likes this.
  9. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    That is correct. I wanted more fine control at the lower gain settings that I prefer. Lowering the trim allowed me to get the same tone at a higher knob setting, with more resolution where I wanted it.

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yep.

BklynKen likes this.
  11. Thanks to both of you. Since the sweet spot for me is Gain at about noon, I don't see any reason to touch the internal trim pot. All I'd like to see from the MBD is a smaller enclosure, but certainly not a deal-breaker.

12. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    I bought a Parallel Drive, (how about PD for short?) a little while back and didn't gel with the Rat side. I was going to mod it to the TS circuit, which probably would have been a train wreck. Jeff offered to mod it for me for free at that, and shipped back on his dime. Best service ever. Well it arrived today and, Yep, thats what I'm talking about! A few things that stand out:

1. The TS side even has enough bottom to be run without any clean blend and gets pretty damn distorted, light to medium fuzz territory. And even higher gain with the clean blend and we'll get to that. Outstanding.

2. The clean blend side has this really great breakup with the gain way up, so much so that it can be used as a overdrive without any TS side! The clean side with high gain sounds almost like my fav MBD setting.

3. Blend both together and look out!! IMO this pedal rivals the X7 in versatility. Between the two levels and two gains, tonal options are unlimited. And the fact that I can use either side alone. This pedal can be used for literally anything.

Very happy I decided to have it modded. I knew it was a great design, I'm just not a Rat and bass guy. Simple as that. This pedal is an instant hit. It's the Damnation Audio Swiss Army Pedal.

13. Yeah agreed, I state that every time it comes up lol
    Still at least the big box has top jacks so it’s not toooo bad

14. Frodolicious

Frodolicious Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I actually like the size of it as is lol. I only ever bring a couple pedals when jamming so size makes no difference. Plus, the MBD is so good it shouldnt be a dealbreaker

gregmon79 likes this.
  15. Definitely not... best distortion I’ve ever owned, especially as my band plays drop B, I like clean blends and I’ve been a fan pretty much since day 1. Just when doing “try to fit/tetris as much pedals as I can” as tightly as I can to my gator tote pedalboard size starts being a thing and I go for smallest possible pedals where I can.
    Of all the pedals I could do without of the 10 pedals that always get taken to band, I could probably live with just tuner, cog mini 66 and mbd1!

gregmon79 and Frodolicious like this.
  16. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    My para drive is out for delivery!!!! :D

My builder said the two 3 way clippers on either side was a great idea. He said it really opened up some tonal possibilities. Can’t wait! I’ll have a report back later tonight or tomorrow. That’s pretty crazy you’re saying it rivals the X7. Two totally different beasts so it’ll be interesting to A/B them on my board.

I’m also a rat guy. I think I’ll be happy with that sound. But I’m going to keep that mod you speak of in mind.

17. donahue

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Awesome! I bet the clipping options are going to be so killer. Yes, rivals the X7 in versatility, not comparing their inherent tones. With the para drive, having the level and gain for each side makes it so tweakable. You will soon see. You can do subtle drive with clean loud or quiet low and/or subtle drive with overdriven clean added quiet or loud or hard drive with etc etc. I can't wait to hear what you think.

18. donahue

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    I was wondering if the old shirt design is sold out again? The logo one.

19. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    They're not on the site but I can always order one.

donahue likes this.
  20. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I got home too late to get my PD outta the apt office :crying: dammit. Ah well, tomorrow morning. But then I’m going to see Tool tomorrow so I won’t get much time with it then either! But at least in seeing Tool!!