Winter NAMM 2017 (ultra Pic-heavy)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wintremute, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Nice! I believe we actually chatted a couple of times, but I may be confusing him with someone else, which is pretty easy to do after a few days in such a busy place.

TonyP- likes this.
  2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    That's Juna Serita

Novarocker, wintremute and 12BitSlab like this.
  3. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    been years since I've had time to get out of the booth and walk the show and see what else is happening.

one of the few images I got to take was Thursday morning just before they let the masses run free in the main halls.

IMG_0465.JPG

arodweb, IconBasser, tubatodd and 9 others like this.
  4. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Notable mentions...

I'm a Lull guy but the following offered some real nice basses and some of them were imports.

Marco
    J Ferro
    Dingwall

All of these builders had some killer basses

5. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    Matthew_84, Rodent and szusman like this.
  6. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    once the herd was cut loose to the main floor, there would have been no way to grab that given that we were right on a main aisle

we were usually cleaning, tuning, etc ... by 8:00A each morning so we had time to casually grab a coffee and before everything broke loose. once the place filled up, this was a pretty typical day

NAMM_AmbientDecibleLevels.png

kittywithabanjo and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  7. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    I know how busy you guys got. I kept walking by to take pictures, and I'd have to come back. I got lucky with Honey Badger and Regenerate on Thursday, but had to wait till Saturday to get Devon.

Rodent likes this.
  8. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    It's impressive to see how far you have come since my wide and I stoped at your house to pick up some tuners I think it was 8 or 9 years ago.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    Rodent likes this.
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    How did I miss that!?!? Man, I am bummed! What was your booth number?

10. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    hey Tom - we were at D2887, right behind and across the aisle from Mayones. in the image I posted, Mayones would be kitty-corner behind us to the left

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Man, I apologize. I would have loved to stop by. As it was, we did not make it to every booth we wanted to (and I only had three days, this year). I never do, even with four days... :rollno:

12. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    no apologies necessary ;)

we can catch up via phone sometime in Feb once we've both recovered from the brain NAMMage incurred during the show

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    :thumbsup:

14. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Speaking as a massage therapist who's up on his feet for up to twelve-hour shifts, all while wearing Chuck Taylors, these insoles are the freakin' bomb! They may seem pricey, but they are sooooooo worth it! Also, there's a link for a $4-off coupon you can print out. Suffice it to say, these are one of the few things in my life I will be a brand-snob about. :thumbsup:

wintremute likes this.
  15. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Most certainly, there were a metric f-ton of pretty instruments, but I can't help coming back to this. drool What can I say? I love a classic Fender Jazz with a little "bump" in the visuals. ;)

I hadn't seen that new version of their Jazzmaster Baritone guitar before! That's got my inner-tinkerer sharpening it's tools…got me thinkin' about turning one into a short scale bass. hmm_zpsjrfywaas.gif :cool: :smug:

Hmm…where have I seen a color-scheme like that on a Fender before? I wonder…

…aww phooey, I lost it. :banghead:

Matthew_84 and wintremute like this.
  16. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Fall, maybe, for the 5 stringers.

As for the cheap marketing campaign, there really was no quid pro quo to get Charles to feature us. He asked if we could set him up with the pass to be the TB guy at the show and I thought it was a great idea. Being a fan of Remco is what drew him to our dark and distant corner last year (he didn't even know there was a downstairs), so I sort of knew he'd be around a lot, but that was it. I'm super glad this thread went well and everyone got an extended peek at what was at the show. I'm tired as poopie right now, since we not only did NAMM but tortured ourselves for 4 more days doing our Roadshow events. I got a mild case of late onset NAMMthrax happening, but should be over it tonight. We'll be at the show next year for sure, bit jury is still out on whether we do those events again. One, sure, but three? Oof.

Scrolling through, I was surprised to see the Orange Bass - I thought it was discontinued. Maybe that's why the price is low?

TinIndian, mikeyjm2, TonyP- and 4 others like this.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I was just being a goofball. I hope I didn't imply anything untoward. You are both great guys. I was just happy you were able to kick up a storm with the K. It really is a cool design. Get some rest. You guys deserve it.

18. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada

kSmaR7l.jpg

So who can tell me about this Moollon P 5? Not a lot of info on their website.

johnson79, wintremute and emjazz like this.
  19. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Thanks!

To make sure no one else is thinking of bias...

My friend got me into last year's NAMM with a pass from Sabian. For this year's event, he didn't think he could pull it off. So, I told Marko that I wanted make a thread saying "I'm going to NAMM, tell me what you want to check out", and that I wanted to be the man on the ground and take a lot of pictures. Can you get me into NAMM with a Hammersmith badge? He mulled it over, and then very generously got me in. I asked him if he wanted me to help out and work at the booth or do anything similar since he got me in. He basically said: No, just do what you said you wanted to do. Take a lot of pictures.

So, I got to live the dream! Ticket to NAMM, check out all the cool stuff, listen to some amazing players, and no one to answer to but myself. It was a great week, and I really, really appreciate it.

And YEAH I focused on that K model a lot! I saw every pretty much every bass at NAMM. I tried out a lot of stuff. I am going to get a K. That was my biggest GAS coming out of the show. It may not be anytime soon (funds and all), but I will be getting one...if I have to go to Mashugana, Canada and make one myself! IT WILL BE MINE!

I'm definitely feeling a classic Ferrari red with white binding, white pickguard, and white blocks on a rosewood neck. Hopefully with a carrot tattoo on the back of the headstock.

20. That was pretty cool of them to do and greatly appreciated by those of us with no means to get into an event like this. Added bonus it put Hammersmith on my radar. That red PJ Remco was playing was of very high interest to me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021